ECN Forum
Posted By: Electric Ian Kitchen counter top receptacles - 12/27/04 11:24 PM
My understanding of 210.52(B)(3) is that the 20 Amp branch circuits that supply the kitchen contertop receptacles are permitted to supply additional receptacle outlets in the same kitchen, pantry or dining room. What about lighting outlets in the same kitchen. Is it permissible to tap a couple of recessed lights serving the kichen countertop from the 20 Amp branch circuit that supplies the countertop receptacles. I think the answer is no but I want to be sure. 210.52 still confuses me every time I reread it.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Kitchen counter top receptacles - 12/28/04 12:31 AM
Ian:
To sum it up; NO

John
Posted By: Electric Ian Re: Kitchen counter top receptacles - 12/28/04 01:20 AM
Right. Didn't think so - Just wanted confirmation.
Thanks.
Posted By: e57 Re: Kitchen counter top receptacles - 12/28/04 01:30 AM
Here's the commentary from 210.52 B 1-3. It runs a little contrary to Hotlines remarks, but I would avoid adding lighting, or for that matter much else to kit circuits. "These circuits may also supply receptacle outlets in the pantry, dining room, and breakfast room, as well as an electric clock receptacle and electric loads associated with gas-fired appliances, but these circuits are to have no other outlets." meaning lighting etc. Although it requires 2 circuits I often will run 3 or more, depending on customer need or commonsense. And definately leave it seperate from lighting or other appliances like GB/DW.
http://www.markhellerelectric.com/21052B.pdf

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 12-27-2004).]
Posted By: Electric Ian Re: Kitchen counter top receptacles - 12/28/04 01:54 AM
Got it. Thanks e57 for taking the time to make it crystal clear [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums