ECN Forum
Posted By: sgreany knob and tube/insurance - 12/16/04 01:08 PM
I have been geting alot of calls lately where homowners insurace are refusing to provide insurance for homes coth knob and tube wiring. The best answer is gut and remodel, but who can afford that? What should I tell these people?
Posted By: hbiss Re: knob and tube/insurance - 12/16/04 06:15 PM
Don't see much choice here. As usual the insurance companies have them by the you know whats. If they want to be insured they have to rewire. This may not be as drastic as a total gut however. As an EC I would use the situation to my advantage and come up with a solution such as maybe financing (work something out with a bank) that would make the work possible for the homeowner.

-Hal
Posted By: e57 Re: knob and tube/insurance - 12/17/04 01:56 AM
A while ago it was the same with fuses on branch circuits. Everytime the insurance policy changed, (when a new owner got the house.) surprise... Panel upgrade!

I imagine that if you must replace the K&T, you'll be dealing with possibly a few fused panels too. Possible lack of grounding etc. I guess it can only stop short of the street, or can it?

An un-edjucated buyer beware.... "What a nice place, I spent my whole wad on it, now I have to completely gut it?!?!"

Not sure how the insurance companies got so much power, but they seem to go through phases of wielding it well with an amount of common sense, and becoming total dictators.
© ECN Electrical Forums