ECN Forum
Posted By: George Little Saving money - 11/14/04 02:05 PM
What's wrong with using a three way switch (SPDT) for switching between the disposal and the dishwasher? I'm saving the cost of a circuit and breaker. Need code reference.
Posted By: iwire Re: Saving money - 11/14/04 02:15 PM
Why use the switch?

How much do these units draw?
Posted By: George Little Re: Saving money - 11/14/04 02:42 PM
Should have provided more details. You run a single circuit, probably 14/2 to a 3 way switch located above the kitchen counter for controling a duplex receptacle below the counter where you have the disposal and dishwasher plugged in. You run a 14/3 cable from the switch to the receptacle and break the tab off separating the two halves of the duplex. Now when you toggle the 3 way switch you will be providing power alternately- Switch up- disposal runs, switch down dishwasher runs. Saved the cost of a circuit and breaker.
Posted By: watthead Re: Saving money - 11/14/04 02:43 PM
Bob
I believe George uses the switch as an electrical interlock. When the switch is up the disposer is on, and when down the dishwasher is powered.

I guess i need to type faster.

[This message has been edited by watthead (edited 11-14-2004).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Saving money - 11/14/04 04:41 PM
I know and I do not know any code reason why you could not do this.

Also I asked why use the switch because if the GD draws 3 amps and the DW 13 amps one 20 amp circuit could be used as long as no other outlets where included on that circuit.

Bob
Posted By: drillman Re: Saving money - 11/14/04 06:10 PM
Not sure if this is legal or not but we have something like this in the jail where I work.

The light switch for the room lights and the night lights is a three way. Up = room lights on night lights off. Down = room lights off night lights on.

At least with this method they will not forget to turn on the night lights.
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Saving money - 11/14/04 08:31 PM
Another variation where George's setup has benefit is putting a small instant hotwater heater on the same circuit as a garbage disposal.

One outfit markets an air switch for the control of the disposal that does exactly the same thing that George's 3-way does.

But I have to wonder about the dishwasher purely from the manufacturer's perspective. Solid state controls are appearing on more and more dishwashers. A power interruption will re-initialize the control chips. The older mechanical clock would just pick up where it lost power.
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Saving money - 11/14/04 09:09 PM
I don't know of any code violation, but it seems a poor design, IMO. I'd personally prefer a 20-amp circuit running to the dishwasher and disposer switch, leaving the dishwasher with unswitched power.

Dave
Posted By: andyp95 Re: Saving money - 11/14/04 09:34 PM
I guess it would work fine that way.The question is why?With that set up,you can't run the disposal and dishwasher at the same time.I would run two circuits myself,a 12/3 would work nice.Better job that way I feel.A single 20 amp circuit would work too if a circuit needed to be saved.

[This message has been edited by andyp95 (edited 11-14-2004).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Saving money - 11/15/04 01:56 AM
Not to be the bearer of bad news...
Is the DW supplied with a factory cordset??
If not, does the mfg instructions say that a cord/plug connection is allowed??

References to NEC Article 400 prohibiting cord from replacing permanent wiring methods.

John
Posted By: Ralpha494 Re: Saving money - 11/15/04 01:57 AM
We had this discussion in Code class a while back. I think we decided it was a listing issue. That's where I came up with the idea for a bumper sticker or sign-off quote: Just cuz it works doesn't make it legal or safe.
Posted By: DougW Re: Saving money - 11/16/04 09:30 PM
Oringnally posted by Dave55:
I don't know of any code violation, but it seems a poor design, IMO. I'd personally prefer a 20-amp circuit running to the dishwasher and disposer switch, leaving the dishwasher with unswitched power.

+1 on this... IMHO
Posted By: Bert66 Re: Saving money - 11/18/04 07:09 PM
I would have to agree with Doug and Dave on this one. Why not just bring power up to your disposal switch from the dishwasher receptical, then bring a switch leg to the disposal. Still one switch. Besides that all of the dishwasher controls are located at the dishwasher, not from some remote location. I do believe this will make for a much cleaner installation. Just think if at a much later date the receptical went on the blink and the homeowner or who ever replaced it without noticing the original tabs were removed. mmmmmmmmmm could serve for an interesting evening.
© ECN Electrical Forums