ECN Forum
Posted By: normel Spa wiring - 10/27/04 03:05 AM
Ran across this setup the other day:
From house panel to GFCI disconnect using 6/2 UF and an individual #6 THWN conductor. In the UF, the two #6 are wired as hot, the bare #10 is the neutral, and the individual THWN is the ground.
Is there any reason for doing it this way or is this just sloppy work by a "licensed" electrician?
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: Spa wiring - 10/27/04 03:10 AM
hi,
the installation you described does not meet the code..first..all conductors of the circuit must be in the same cable or raceway..there are more rules that apply here than you have mentioned..what type of wire/cable is feeding the disconnect? inside wiring method can not be used for exterior wiring..you must transition from romex to an approved method..like thhn in a raceway or something else..

there are folks out there with more to say on this i am sure..

sounds like no planning to me..and no experience dealing with this type of installation..

nice try but no dice..

-regards

mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 10-26-2004).]
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Spa wiring - 10/27/04 03:33 AM
I can't say I've seen UF with a downsized third wire... #6 seems large for most hot tubs- is voltage drop an issue?... I can't see anybody with real electrical training doing this!
Posted By: normel Re: Spa wiring - 10/27/04 12:11 PM
It's a 50A feed to the 50A GFCI disconnect so #6 is required. I too think it is an improper setup, but the HO swears by the reputation and experience of the electrician who installed it. My guess is he added the separate wire after the UF was in place once he realized he was a wire short.
Posted By: electricman2 Re: Spa wiring - 10/27/04 04:34 PM
I see violations of 300.3(A),300.3(B),and 340.108. 6AWG UF or NM will have a 10AWG EGC (250.122)
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Spa wiring - 10/27/04 08:18 PM
IMO the homeowner can swear all he wants, it's sloppy work.

Dave
© ECN Electrical Forums