ECN Forum
Posted By: George Little Outlet? - 10/20/04 11:05 AM
The definition of an "outlet" in the code is somewhat controversial IMHO. There are those who would say a receptacle or a lighting fixture box are outlets. Others will say any box that contains a neutral is considered an outlet. So, one could say a switch located in a bedroom that controls a flood light outside the house is an outlet and requires AFCI. What say you?
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Outlet? - 10/20/04 11:08 AM
In my opinion, it is not an outlet unless it directly supplies some type of equipment. The switch is not an outlet.
Don
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Outlet? - 10/20/04 11:24 AM
An outlet is something that uses power.A switch only controls the power.So I would say that the switch that controls a flood light outside of a bedroom need not be AFCI protected.

shortcircuit
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Outlet? - 10/20/04 12:02 PM
Definations answers your Question. Both switch and oulet are in there. Out (A point on the wiring System at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.)A switch is not utilization equipment.
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Outlet? - 10/20/04 05:34 PM
In my opinion, there are four key definitions in Article 100 that interlock into a whole, with respect to your question, George.
  • Premises Wiring (System) - branch circuit in the walls
  • Controller - light switch
  • Outlet
  • Utilization Equipment - flood light
We are told that the current path internal to a controller is not part of the Premises Wiring. Current has to be taken from the Premises Wiring for it to flow in the Controller.

When the controller allows an equipment (flood light) to utilize energy, the current for the utilization equipment must be taken from the premises wiring system, routed through the controller, returned to the premises wiring system and be taken again at the flood light.

In my opinion, a light switch is installed at an outlet.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Outlet? - 10/20/04 06:05 PM
Al,
We are told that the current path internal to a controller is not part of the Premises Wiring. Current has to be taken from the Premises Wiring for it to flow in the Controller.
The controller (switch) does not use the current and is not ultilization equipment, therefore it is not installed at an outlet.
Don
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Outlet? - 10/20/04 06:33 PM
Don,
resqcapt19 wrote: In my opinion, it is not an outlet unless it directly supplies some type of equipment.
The NEC does not use the language directly supplies.

The current only has to be taken from the wiring system and be current that is to supply utilization equipment. I see nothing in the definition of Outlet that limits "A" point to being "The only" point.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Outlet? - 10/20/04 08:41 PM
Al,
You read it your way and I'll read it mine. I will never change my opinion on this issue unless the NFPA issues a formal interpretation saying that I am wrong. We spent 11 pages on this issue on Mike Holt's forum and it was not resolved.
Don
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Outlet? - 10/20/04 09:24 PM
Yup. [Linked Image]

Don, we have two different readings.

I join you, George Little, in asking, "What say you?" to the rest of the community.

The meaning of Outlet is the heart of the question, seems to me, not whether a switch utilizes energy.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Outlet? - 10/20/04 09:33 PM
I share Don's opinion, personally.
Posted By: George Little Re: Outlet? - 10/21/04 03:30 AM
I know there is no convincing explanation and at this point I think it's only a matter of time before all residential general lighting circuits will require AFCI protection. I haven't heard much in the way of problems with AFCIs and I hope I've not been living in vacuum.
© ECN Electrical Forums