ECN Forum
Posted By: earlydean working clearance 110.26 - 10/16/04 10:45 PM
NEC 110.26 requires working clearance in front of equipment likely to require calibration, testing, or adjustment while energized. This means a 30 by 36 inch space (or larger) in front of panels, access panels on HVAC equipment and fused disconnects.
Does this requirement extend to non-fused disconnects? I am thinking specifically of the service disconnects often found installed 12-18 inches behind AC compressors in the side or back yard of dwelling units.
Posted By: Roger Re: working clearance 110.26 - 10/16/04 11:11 PM
Earl, I personally don't think it would apply to a switch, but take note and get ready, this oppinion will be debated shortly. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: iwire Re: working clearance 110.26 - 10/16/04 11:21 PM
I am with Roger on this.

Further considering OSHA all but forbids working on things hot, what is the point anyway. [Linked Image]

I am on a job now that the inspector is requiring the plumber to install the electric hot water heater to 110.26 on the side with the elements.

Does anyone normally change water heater elements live? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-16-2004).]
Posted By: capt al Re: working clearance 110.26 - 10/16/04 11:33 PM
Roger, Why would you think your opinion would be debated? I'd agree with you. What would be serviced "while energized" in a non fusible disconnect switch?

Al
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: working clearance 110.26 - 10/16/04 11:52 PM
When there is a problem with a piece of equipment the first thing many troubleshooters will do is check for voltage at the load side of the disconnect serving the equipment. This requires 110.26 work space. Even OSHA permits troubleshooting hot.
Don
Posted By: e57 Re: working clearance 110.26 - 10/17/04 08:02 AM
I'm with Don on this one.

On another note, a while back I had an inspector call for workspace in front of phone equipment terminals. Hey, I'm all for it keep crap out of my way.
Posted By: earlydean Re: working clearance 110.26 - 10/17/04 02:48 PM
As the installing electrician, I would like to keep the area in front of my disconnecting switch relatively clear. As the inspector, I can, and do, cite the electrician for not leaving working space in front of the disconnect. As the trouble call electrician I have wished the installing electrician had left enough room in front of the disconnect for me to be able to test for voltages without having to perform contortions.
I have heard of this call being made by other inspectors where it was OK to crowd the disconnect behind equipment if there was another disconnect before the "workman's switch" that could be locked in the off position. The explanation given was the workman's switch wasn't even required, so it needn't have a working clearance.
As an electrician, I have also had to install disconnects behind equipment, knowing there wasn't enough "working clearance" room because there simply wasn't room to install it anywhere else.
How do you guys handle that situation?
Does it make a difference if the switch is a ball-bat type with a screwed-on faceplate or if the switch is a HD safety switch with a hinged cover easily opened for voltage testing?
This is how I have differentiated between the two situations in the past: Is it likely to be used for voltage testing? If yes, then you need a working clearance. Who agrees? Who doesn't?
Posted By: Roger Re: working clearance 110.26 - 10/17/04 03:38 PM
How do we handle switches above counter tops?

These don't have 110.26 clearances and a switch is a switch, we can't use the argument "that those don't count". [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: gfretwell Re: working clearance 110.26 - 10/17/04 04:47 PM
This working space issue is always going to be a judgement call. Who is to say that the disconnect behind an AC is more likely to need service than the receptacle under the sink for the disposal. As soon as you make a decision, you will be wrong on your next service call. Anyone who has crawled on his belly in a 140 degreee 3:12 attic full of blown in insulation, looking for a J box, will question the "accessible" rule too. :-)
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: working clearance 110.26 - 10/17/04 05:04 PM
I'm with Don as well. I don't think fuses enter into it.

I also see everyone elses point as well, which is why I have been working on a proposal (for months now) to change the text of 110.26 to include a list format of the equipment it applies to, but that brings up its own issues as well. It really is a difficult subject.
Posted By: earlydean Re: working clearance 110.26 - 10/17/04 06:38 PM
Just to add a little more fuel to the fire:
How about the instance where there is an item of equipment that extends a little bit too far into the working zone, but doesn't really interfere with access? Like a transformer mounted below a panel? (As a matter of fact, the transformer below the panel actually enhances access, as it can serve as a tool bench for test meters and the like.) But, it is strictly enforced as a violation of the working clearance rules.
Nobody can work with their face 6 inches from the panel front. I need at least 12 inches, and I am comfortable with 18 to 24 inches. Why not allow items below the panel to extend out 18 inches beyond the face of the panel?????
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: working clearance 110.26 - 10/17/04 06:52 PM
Roger,
How do we handle switches above counter tops?
This is a problem with the code wording in 110.26. The counter top receptacles the are required by 210.52 are in violation of 110.26. The CMP has been very reluctant to accept any changes in the wording of 110.26. This section really needs some work as in its current state is not useable.
Don
Posted By: Roger Re: working clearance 110.26 - 10/17/04 07:23 PM
Don,
The counter top receptacles the are required by 210.52 are in violation of 110.26. The CMP has been very reluctant to accept any changes in the wording of 110.26. This section really needs some work as in its current state is not useable.
this is my feeling also, and if these receptacles or switches are not included in 110.26, why would a knife type switch or enclosed breaker not be ignored the same as these devices?

Roger
Posted By: JNSafety Re: working clearance 110.26 - 11/17/05 10:08 PM
Hello all, great site, first time poster.

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but this is the best example of specifically what I was looking for (looked around here for over an hour).

Does this scenario apply to a table that is in front of a non-fused disconnect? Take the example of a industrial welding work station that has the disconnect mounted on the wall right behind the work table. Very easy to reach over and shut down, but the working space isn't clear.

Could a disconnect be considered something that isn't likely to require "examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance"?
© ECN Electrical Forums