ECN Forum
Posted By: mustangelectric CU & AL Spliced in LB - 09/10/04 02:07 AM
Hi,
What is the latest on splices in fittings? What about a splice in a LB just below the ceiling over a porch..the feed is AL from the main panelboard...to the LB from there it is Copper in PVC on the outside wall to a 125A 3R Panelboard which serves a pool and hot tub. the splices were made with those expensive CU/AL split bolts..130C and 33..

is the LB ok or should it get a J-box?

This is a transition from NM to outside wiring method..

Thanks for any replies

Mustang
Posted By: Dave55 Re: CU & AL Spliced in LB - 09/10/04 03:10 AM
See 314.16(C)(2)...only if the manufacturer of the LB marks its volume and you comply with space required for the conductors as you would in a junction box. Personally I never use an LB for splices. I've never looked for a volume label on one.

Dave
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: CU & AL Spliced in LB - 09/10/04 03:17 AM
From the 2002, with the bold added by me. [Linked Image]

(C) Conduit Bodies.
(1) General. Conduit bodies enclosing 6 AWG conductors or smaller, other than short-radius conduit bodies as described in 314.5, shall have a cross-sectional area not less than twice the cross-sectional area of the largest conduit or tubing to which it is attached. The maximum number of conductors permitted shall be the maximum number permitted by Table 1 of Chapter 9 for the conduit or tubing to which it is attached.
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: CU & AL Spliced in LB - 09/10/04 04:17 PM
hi,
thanks for the replies...314.16 appears to allow making splices in fittings.

i am talking about a transition from NM to outdoor wiring method..

dropped out of the attic with #2 AL and switch to Copper in a pipe..the location is not a great place for a box..

i was just checking to see what to look out for..

thanks

mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 09-10-2004).]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: CU & AL Spliced in LB - 09/10/04 05:27 PM
#6 or smaller...
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: CU & AL Spliced in LB - 09/10/04 05:38 PM
thanks for the replies..

mustang
Posted By: iwire Re: CU & AL Spliced in LB - 09/10/04 06:58 PM
Ryan are you saying conduit bodies can not contain conductors larger than 6 AWG? [Linked Image]

There is no reference to splicing in 314.16(C)(1)

314.16(C)(2) With Splices, Taps, or Devices. Only those conduit bodies that are durably and legibly marked by the manufacturer with their volume shall be permitted to contain splices, taps, or devices. The maximum number of conductors shall be computed in accordance with 314.16(B). Conduit bodies shall be supported in a rigid and secure manner.

Bob
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: CU & AL Spliced in LB - 09/10/04 10:17 PM
Good catch Bob....my bad!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: big guy Re: CU & AL Spliced in LB - 09/11/04 01:04 AM
If you make a splice in a metal box the box must be grounded

so how do you ground the LB?

This is why I don't splice in a LB. It maybe ok to do but I just don't do it

LB cost more to

[This message has been edited by big guy (edited 09-10-2004).]
Posted By: iwire Re: CU & AL Spliced in LB - 09/11/04 04:16 PM
I have not spliced in conduit bodies either but it is allowed. There are light fixtures that secure directly to conduit bodies in place of the cover. To use these you must splice in the conduit body.

big guy brings up an interesting point about the grounding.

Part of 250.148
Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, any separate equipment grounding conductors associated with those circuit conductors shall be spliced or joined within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use.

However this section does not apply to conduit bodies.

I do not know anyway you could attach a grounding conductor to a conduit body without drilling a hole in it.

Bob
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: CU & AL Spliced in LB - 09/13/04 12:50 PM
hi,
there are NO requirements to GROUND a FITTING that has splices..you may be required to ground a box but a fitting is NOT a box..

mustang
Posted By: Dave55 Re: CU & AL Spliced in LB - 09/14/04 10:57 PM
So, Mustang...the question is...IS the volume marked by the manufacturer on this LB???

Dave
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: CU & AL Spliced in LB - 09/14/04 11:09 PM
Dave,
The L.B. is marked with the volume. However, I used a 6X6X6 CARLON PVC J-BOX instead of the fitting for this particular job. There was no real need to use the L.B. since it was so easy to use a J-box..this is good to know for those times when there is really no other option. The J.B. was about $10.00 and it gave me plenty of room to work.

I also used aluminum instead of copper for my transition from Romex to Outside wiring method..XLPE in PVC conduit. The same stuff I use for UG services.

Thanks for the reply.

-regards

Mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 09-14-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums