ECN Forum
Posted By: gfretwell Closets - 09/08/04 06:07 PM
I saw something interesting the other day (I am not the AHJ)
There is a switched outlet with a blank cover on it in a closet that is too small to have a light in it. It is not a "luminaire" right now so it isn't a violation but we all know it will be, the day after the homeowner moves in. How do you rule?
Posted By: George Little Re: Closets - 09/08/04 07:35 PM
I am an inspector and one way of handling this situation is to document the blanked up outlet as no fixture installed. I am not naive enough to think that a fixture will not be installed. Electrical Code does not require a fixture in a closet. If you install a fixture in a closet it must comply with 410.8 of the NEC. If a fixture gets installed after the fact and I don't inspect it, my backside is covered.
Posted By: George Re: Closets - 09/08/04 09:42 PM
If they had a fixture in place and you tag it at final inspection:

one correct cure is to remove the fixture and put a blank cover on it.

That is just what you have now. It is code compliant.
Posted By: stamcon Re: Closets - 09/09/04 01:20 AM
If there are plans that show a luminaire at that location, can the inspector require it be installed, instead of a blank cover, before the final inspection?
Posted By: George Little Re: Closets - 09/09/04 01:29 AM
There might be something in the building code that will clasify a closet as a storage room or if the closet is large enough it may require a lighting outlet. But in the NEC- I don't think so.
Posted By: George Little Re: Closets - 09/09/04 01:42 AM
I missed your point about it being on the plans. In Michigan unless the house is over 3500 sq. foot and, not or, and 400 amp service it does not get plan review.
Posted By: stamcon Re: Closets - 09/09/04 01:56 AM
George, I'm in California and there is some sort of plan check for most everything(remodel or new construction).

steve
© ECN Electrical Forums