ECN Forum
Posted By: Sparkeee32 code q on light bar - 04/14/04 11:09 PM
I have seen a few sparkees at my shop taping the 14-2 switch leg to the steel bar that the light box is fastened to. This is the first company I have been at where I have seen this done. Is it legal? and can it fulfill the minimum required length of wire before a staple? and if it is all legal, and up to code...how about some pros and cons on why you would choose ot choose not to do this. Thanks! -every days an experience of something new- Brian
Posted By: DougW Re: code q on light bar - 04/15/04 04:12 AM
I don't think that it would meet the Code for support/securing by itself, but I don't think it's aginst code do so it in addition to the regular staple. Keeps it out of the way while you're doing other stuff up there I guess...
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: code q on light bar - 04/15/04 02:49 PM
Brian,

334.30 Securing and Supporting. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable. . . .
Also:
100 Definitions. Fitting. An accessory such as a locknut, bushing, or other part of a wiring system that is intended primarily to perform a mechanical rather than an electrical function.
I don't think the tape can be used as a support. Even if taped to the box hanger bar, there would still be the need for a support within 12", when clamped in the box.

Al
Posted By: hbiss Re: code q on light bar - 04/18/04 02:14 AM
I don't use tape but certainly a ty-rap or a piece of tie wire should qualify. Sometimes when you have the box in the middle of a 24" bay you are just beyond 12". Nothing wrong with fastening to the bar.

-Hal
Posted By: rizer Re: code q on light bar - 04/18/04 10:16 AM
ty wrap sounds good but the tie wire? i was shot down years ago by an inspector because tie wire was not "listed" as an approved support. i used it with metal studs, it kept the wire centerd on the stud. she wanted me to use 1 hole straps.
© ECN Electrical Forums