ECN Forum
Posted By: Doug Scott supplying service through panel - 03/31/04 02:33 PM
Is there a code violation for running 2 seperate service feeders through a disconnecting means using the box as a raceway?
Doug
Posted By: Doug Scott Re: supplying service through panel - 03/31/04 03:30 PM
let me clarify this
2 disconnects for a store and a apartment upstairs. Disconnects, one is on top of the other, 2" nipple from top of one to the bottom of other disconnect. Bottom disconnect is using top disconnect as raceway for feeders to panel inside apartment. Is this allowed?
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: supplying service through panel - 03/31/04 06:11 PM
I notice that you use the term "service feeder". Is it a service conductor or a feeder circuit? Also, are these disconnects you speak of service disconnects?
Posted By: tdhorne Re: supplying service through panel - 03/31/04 08:35 PM
I can't answer the code question authoritatively but I wanted to comment that the arrangement you describe exposes the load conductors of the upper disconnect to any failure or the service conductors supplying the lower disconnect. The way I would have done it would have been a trough with a nipple to the upper disconnect and a longer nipple and LR or 90 as appropriate to the lower disconnect.
--
Tom H
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: supplying service through panel - 03/31/04 09:43 PM
Read 230.7 and see if it applies.
Posted By: rizer Re: supplying service through panel - 04/01/04 08:18 AM
373-8 "unless adequate space for this purpose is provided." i still thought you couldnt use enclosures as raceways but it seems i'm wrong.
© ECN Electrical Forums