ECN Forum
Posted By: aldav53 SPA / GFI - 12/24/03 05:53 AM
If an outdoor residential spa has a built in GFI, does it need a GFI breaker at the Panel feeding it? Does it need a disconnect near the spa when the panel is not in with site?
Posted By: dannynova Re: SPA / GFI - 12/24/03 04:46 PM
according to 680-40 for outdoor spas it sends you to 680 parts A and B. 680-12 states that a disconnecting means shall be provided and accessible within sight of all pools, spas, and hot tubs and shall be at least 5 feet from the wall. As for the gfi requirement, in my area a gfci breaker is required but I cant find the article. I dont know if this is a local thing or in the nec. hope this helps.
Posted By: aldav53 Re: SPA / GFI - 12/24/03 04:56 PM
Yeah, I couldn't find the GFI requirement either. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: earlydean Re: SPA / GFI - 12/24/03 05:54 PM
Check out 680.44. If I'm not mistaken, a listed spa package with integral GFCI protection is permitted without GFCI protection on the branch circuit or the outlet serving the spa.
Posted By: sparky Re: SPA / GFI - 12/24/03 06:26 PM
the disco is something that needs to be within sight of the motor, as some tub motors are not intergral to the tub ( as in commercial settings) an E-stop for the serving motor is to be placed within sight of the tub. (from the hip, this might be 680.41)

isn't it interesting that , a permanent hardwired pool should not require a GFI , where most hot tubs & spas are listed for them?

must be something to do with the bonding eh?

~S~
Posted By: aldav53 Re: SPA / GFI - 12/24/03 06:30 PM
Yep, you would think an in-ground pool would need a GFI for the pump motor. The pool light has one.
© ECN Electrical Forums