ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Hydromassage Bathtubs - 10/18/03 09:21 PM
How close can a switch be to a Hydromassage Bathtub? Can it ever be in the space above the Tub? (2002 NEC) references please.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 10-18-2003).]
Posted By: Roger Re: Hydromassage Bathtubs - 10/18/03 10:53 PM
Bill, I don't know of any article that would specifically prohibit it. Maybe someone else knows of something.

Roger
Posted By: russ m Re: Hydromassage Bathtubs - 10/18/03 11:46 PM
680.72 Requires other electrical equipment located in the same room and not associated with the tub to comply with Chapters 1 through 4.

404.4 Wet Locations, would not allow the switch in the tub area, if it is considered a wet location.

It would have to be well above the water level (splashing) and no shower outlet.
Posted By: Roger Re: Hydromassage Bathtubs - 10/19/03 02:39 PM
Russ,
if it is considered a wet location.

this is the kicker, another area that needs formal definiton.

Roger
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Hydromassage Bathtubs - 10/19/03 06:37 PM
680.72 Requires other electrical equipment located in the same room and not associated with the tub to comply with Chapters 1 through 4.
Russ,

You hit upon my point of confusion. What if the Switch is associated with the Tub? 680.70 says that Hydromassage tubs are not required to comply with any other parts of 680. So where are the rules for this switch? There don't seem to be any, it doesn't seem right somehow.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: russ m Re: Hydromassage Bathtubs - 10/20/03 05:39 PM
Yes I agree, there seems to be a hole in the wording.
I'm not sure I've ever run into a switch on the wall, installed for a jacuzzi.
Now that I said that, it's bound to happen.
Posted By: dana1028 Re: Hydromassage Bathtubs - 10/20/03 07:58 PM
Bill - the switch is GFCI protected (680.71) - that should be adequate shouldn't it?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Hydromassage Bathtubs - 10/20/03 08:21 PM
I'm just trying to figure out the logic of things here:

If the Switch is for the Hydromassage tub it must be GFCI protected but can go in the space over the Tub?

If the switch is not for the Tub it can go right next to it and it doesn't have to be GFCI protected.

If the Hydromassage Tub is replaced with a Hot Tub the switch must be moved 5 feet away.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Hydromassage Bathtubs - 10/21/03 02:19 AM
From the archives:

[Linked Image]

Check the ROP for the 2005 NEC, I think something along the lines that are related to this discussion may be available.
© ECN Electrical Forums