ECN Forum
Here is the situation,
Residential customer wants to locate his meter socket 50ft from his new house and run the service conductors(4/0 3cond URD) 18in under grade in conduit(for the 50ft) through the foundation wall into a 4ft high crawl space and then another 8ft to the floor of the utility room and then up to the disco/load center combo.I believe the code says that the inside disco shall be located nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.Is 8ft close enough?
Chris
"Nearest" is a judgement call by the AHJ. I would have a hard time accepting 8 feet, especially since it is concealed from view.

I'd vote for an outside disconnect.

Tom
In this area the "magic number" seems to be 5' inside the building.

If the customer insists on this you can encase the raceway in 2" of concrete and be "outside" the building as far as you want inside the building.

230.6 Conductors Considered Outside the Building.

Conductors shall be considered outside of a building or other structure under any of the following conditions:

(1)Where installed under not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete beneath a building or other structure

(2)Where installed within a building or other structure in a raceway that is encased in concrete or brick not less than 50 mm (2 in.) thick

Bob
Why dont you just put the disco 0n the pole with the meter, and run 4 conductors to the house panel?
Good suggestions guys!The customer doesn't want any "electrical clutter"on the side of the new house.I think I will have the AHJ come out and take a look see,before I run any service.All the other rough in is complete.
I thought that I had this all agreed to before I started this rough in but the customer changed his mind however he is willing to pay the extra.OK with me!
Chris
The AHJ voted to put the meter AND a disco on a pedestal across the driveway and run 4 wire into conduit into the house.He has my vote.
He also signed off on the rough in.Wonders never cease!!
Chris
Remember to establish a ground electrode system at the house, even if you set electrodes at the pedestal. Code requires a electrode system at each structure served. Code wise, I don't think that a ground electrode system is required at the pedestal, as the pedestal would not be considered a structure. If it were my job, I would set an electrode at the pedestal in addition to the required electrode system at the house.
Rick
"Why dont you just put the disco 0n the pole with the meter, and run 4 conductors to the house panel?"

What does this have to do with the question? You are required by code, to follow the same rules whether it is a service or a feeder. see Article 230.70(A) and 225.32.

Rick Miell
Strange how 230.70(A) says

The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

So it seems outside could be any readily accessible location.

But 225.32 says

The disconnecting means shall be installed either inside or outside of the building or structure served or where the conductors pass through the building or structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors.

So for 225.32 even an outside disconnect has to be nearest the point of entrance.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 09-09-2003).]
Based on the code info presented I am ready to put the meter socket and the disco within 5 feet of the outside the house on a pedestal with the double set of electrodes(one for the pedestal and one for the inside panel).Thank you for your help.
Chris
© ECN Electrical Forums