ECN Forum
Posted By: Brian Roberts Upside down panel? - 07/29/03 10:28 AM
I just saw a new house with the circuit breaker panel mounted upside down. The main breaker was on the bottom. Is this allowed?
I was always taught that the line side should be on the top.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Upside down panel? - 07/29/03 10:48 AM
I'm not sure about the line-on-top issue, but if the main breaker handle operates vertically, then the upside down mounting would violate 240.81.
Posted By: Tom Re: Upside down panel? - 07/29/03 01:29 PM
Mounting these things upside down is done all the time, generally to keep from running the service entrance conductors from the bottom of the panel to the top. As Paul pointed out, as long as the service disconnect is not upside down, no problem.

You need to forget about line being on top and load being on the bottom, this could be a dangerous assumption For example, a 200 amp breaker with lugs on both ends could have the power coming in the bottom. This would be allowed as long as there are no Line and Load markings on the breaker or the enclosure. You turn off the breaker & assume the lower lugs are de-energized & you could become a statistic. [Linked Image]

Besides which, when you order what many of us consider a real panelboard, not the cheap load centers we usually deal with, you specify if you want top feed or bottom feed.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 07-29-2003).]
Posted By: Brian Roberts Re: Upside down panel? - 07/29/03 01:49 PM
Thanks for clearing that up! The breaker operates sideways. I still don't like to see the embossed breaker numbers with #1 at the bottom and #40 at the top. Maybe I'll just have to get used to it. Thanks again.
Posted By: GEO Re: Upside down panel? - 07/29/03 01:57 PM
2002 240.33 240.81
© ECN Electrical Forums