ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky66wv Retorqued - 07/15/03 01:37 PM
[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]

A picture is worth 1000 (curse) words...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-15-2003).]
Posted By: txsparky Re: Retorqued - 07/16/03 01:17 AM
Virg,
Has that same ole inspector been at it again? [Linked Image]
Posted By: tdhorne Re: Retorqued - 07/17/03 10:39 PM
What am I missing? I didn't spot the problem.

Oops, now I see it. Those markings on the lugs are your original torque marks. Right?
--
Tom

[This message has been edited by tdhorne (edited 07-17-2003).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Retorqued - 07/18/03 12:02 AM
explain it one more time please, cold flow, or whatever makes this a bad thing to do
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Retorqued - 07/18/03 01:53 AM
Sparky,
Look at this thread , and this one .
Don
Posted By: sparky Re: Retorqued - 07/18/03 11:09 AM
thank you Don.

in a perfect world, i'm agreeable to this ideal.

as to all the old work in the world, all bets are off....

allbeit, much of what is out there never realized a tourqe spec in the first place
Posted By: Tom Re: Retorqued - 07/18/03 05:41 PM
Virgil,

You gotta explain to folks what it is like to have coal miners & ex-coal miners around. I've never met one that could resist tweaking any adjusment knob they've ever seen and it ain't tight 'till it squeeks & glows red. [Linked Image]

American measurements of torque- inch pounds, foot pounds & erks. Erk is the sound the fastener makes as you approach its maximum tensile strength.

Tom
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Retorqued - 07/18/03 06:11 PM
Once the maximum amount of Erks has been reached, the next sound is usually something that shouldn't be printed here...
Posted By: steve66 Re: Retorqued - 07/21/03 01:04 PM
Speaking of torque specs, when installing box clamps or other items with lock rings, does anyone know the correct number of ft-lbs to apply to the screwdriver with the hammer?
Posted By: cubby964 Re: Retorqued - 08/01/03 11:03 PM
FWIW:
I just watched a Journeyman electrician retorque some lugs to well over 30 pounds-feet, with a calibrated (have the paper) pounds-inch torque wrench set to 100 lbs-in. (watched it being set by the UPS tech and verified it). Some people just don't get it.
Jim
© ECN Electrical Forums