ECN Forum
Posted By: Jim M above ground pool bonding - 06/10/03 01:47 AM
I need to know the proper way of bonding an above ground pool. The pool filter is fed thru a 120v 20a GFI receptacle mounted on a post near the filter. The pool filter came with about a 30 inch cord. The pool filter has an external lug on it. Do I run a #8 to the rib of the pool? How would you attach a lug to the rib of the pool? I do not know if the pump is double insulated.

TIA
Posted By: Redsy Re: above ground pool bonding - 06/10/03 02:10 AM
The pool must be bonded with the solid #8 to the motor, and any other metal within 5' of the pool must also be bonded together. One of our local inspection agencies require that if the pool is bolted together, only one lug is needed to attach to the ribs, if the pool is screwed together (I haven't seen any), then every other rib is required to be bonded. Our AHJs accept lay-in lugs with sheet metal screws. Sand away the paint, apply Nolox and use a lock washer.
Posted By: harold endean Re: above ground pool bonding - 06/11/03 01:27 AM
Redsy,

I just saw a pool the other day (above ground) there was a bonding lug on the motor but it wasn't bonded to anything. When I questioned the homeowner he said the whole pool was plastic. The liner, outside wall, top rail, bottom rail, etc. So what did I want him to bond the motor to? I didn't have an answer for him. [Linked Image]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: above ground pool bonding - 06/13/03 03:50 PM
Harold:
"Any other metal within xx feet of the pool"
Are ya sure the ribs are all plastic??? Saw one that had plastic covers over the metal ribs, and plastic over the metal top rails!

Also, how about bonding it to the device enclosures? (if they are metal), or the grounding conductor at the twistlock or switch?

John
© ECN Electrical Forums