ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/14/03 07:32 PM
I am searching for information as to what edition of the NEC is used in your area starting with the 1999 edition back?

Are there any areas still using the 1996, 1993, 1990, or 1987 editions?

Don't laugh, I heard of one city a while ago who was still using the 1968 NEC!
Posted By: russ m Re: What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/14/03 11:30 PM
Joe:

We use the 2000 Chicago, which is about the same as the 1999 NEC.
When I started inspecting here in Burbank IL back in 1998, we were still useing the 1969 Chicago code. It's nice to be back to the future, sort of.

Russ
Posted By: ccdave Re: What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/15/03 01:11 AM
Joe: mainly "96" but slowly moving to "99".
some of the combo inspectors here carried both 93 and 96 when I got here.A punch list was made for them by somebody? with ref. to both editions.I,ve changed that.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/15/03 01:45 AM
Joe:
New Jersey is using '99 NEC in the UCC.
Hope to go to '02 soon; right Harold???

John
Posted By: Scott35 Re: What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/15/03 03:58 AM
Current CEC (California Electrical Code) is built on the '99 NEC, so I would have to answer " '99 NEC "

Scott35 S.E.T.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/15/03 04:16 AM
Joe,

'99 in NY State as of July 2002, '93 before that.
(this was a largely unknown fact!)

Bill
state of wisconsin :

can be one of 3 verison 93, 96 and 99 verison but right now phasing in 02 soon after the master electrican get up to the speed and inspecter also but really it very istering to deal depend on area it will fall in and i am on both latter part (96 and 99) but addition to the local codes too

merci marc
Joe,

We are using the 1999 NEC but ANY DAY NOW we should be changing to the 2002. I have been hearing ANY DAY NOW since last July! The big fight here in this state ( I think) is the AFCI debate. However I won't get started on that one. It is being discussed ever where on every board. [Linked Image]

Caper

P.S. Still trying to find someone to cover for me here.
Posted By: Nick Re: What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/15/03 09:55 PM
Like Scott said we are using the 2001 CEC (‘99Nec) here in California. However, the job I am just starting was approved by the city before the adoption of the current code so we are still stuck on the ’98 CEC (’96 CEC) for a while longer.
Posted By: Big A Re: What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/17/03 01:43 PM
Hello All,

Virginia, being the Commonwealth that it is, has independent cities. Meaning that the cities are completly separate from the counties. So the locality determines the code you are working from. In my city, we are on the 1996 NEC and it's rumored that we will jump right to the 2002 NEC this fall. Of course, that's what they said last year.

If I'm not mistaken, the state just changed from the 1996 NEC to the 1999 NEC as far as testing for your license.
Posted By: Mvannevel Re: What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/21/03 12:27 PM
Here in Michigan we are, for all intents and purposes, using the '99 NEC. This includes the Part 8 amendments. We are also using what is referred to as the Michigan Residential Code, which just incorporates the '99 NEC as it applies to residential installations. The code language in it is essentially the same with a few small ommissions (which can lead to problems). We,too, are supposed to be moving to the '02 code soon. But, I've been hearing that since June of last year...
Posted By: GEO Re: What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/21/03 02:11 PM
I WIN,guess this is not golf we still use the 90 ,but don't tell anyone. when -if the state wide happens it will always be the latest, so i'm tolded. GEO
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/21/03 04:07 PM
I just found out that New York City uses the 1999 NEC Code with a "New York City Amendment to the 1999 National Electrical Code and Related Administrative Provisions (Local Law 64/2001 & Local Law 41/2002)- Effective Date: January 1, 2003"

Before that, New York City was using a special Electrical Code of the City of New York last updated in July 1992.

See here for what I'm talking about and also if you want to buy them.

https://www.nycitystore.com/subcat.asp?sid=14

The New York City Dept. of Buildings is at http://www.nyc.gov/buildings
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/21/03 09:35 PM
Here's an earlier post covering the same subject:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000766.html

Does anyone know if NYC is selling any type of revised code book, or will the amendments be considered, and reviewed by doing a cut and paste, and white out patch job?

Seems like they may have created a monster!
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/21/03 09:49 PM
Joe, I'm sorry, my link the the New York City Government Bookstore did not work as I had expected.

Visit http://www.nycitystore.com/

Follow the link to "municipal publications" and then the link to "rules and regulations."

The 1999 NEC Book is first on that list and it cots $59.50 and the Amendment costs $20.00.

The 1992 Code Book is still available and costs $25.00.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: mountainman Re: What Edition of the NEC do you use? - 03/25/03 09:28 PM
oops,
Sorry Joe but Big A made a mistake. In the great commonwealth of Virginia we are using the 1996 NEC. Virginia has a Uniform Statewide Building Code that states all jusrisdictions will comply with the USBC. Right now the USBC is under the 1996 code.

Joe
i will like to add one more thing that the state of wisconsin codes will be enfored with 02 code effect on july 1 ist if heard it right

if any question realated to nec and wec(wisconsin electrcal code) just drop a line or concat me i will try my best to anwer it

merci marc
© ECN Electrical Forums