ECN Forum
Posted By: hvacguy electronic air cleaner - 03/09/03 08:32 PM
want to install an electronic air cleaner on my central ac in attic. the EAC has a 6 ft cord now do i call an electrician and put in a reciptical in my attic, or cut the cord and tie into airhandler power
Posted By: WebSparky Re: electronic air cleaner - 03/09/03 09:31 PM
hvacguy,

Hi and welcome!

Typically the eac is powered only when the blower is powered. Usually on the newer air handlers with a circuit board, there is a screw terminal designated for the eac. To wire your new eac, usually wires are run from this to a surface mounted metal box on the side of your unit containing a single recpticle to plug the eac into.

If it is an older style, then you would need to install a "sail switch" in the duct work before the recepticle.

Either way, do not cut the plug off!

If this is beyond your range of experience, please hire a licenced hvac or electrical contractor to do the install.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Posted By: caselec Re: electronic air cleaner - 03/10/03 05:03 AM
All of the EAC units I have seen the past few years have air flow switches built in and are designed to be connected to a constant hot power source. Have an electrician install a receptacle in the attic near the unit. Do not cut the power cord! If you do you will void the warrantee and UL listing of the unit.

Curt
© ECN Electrical Forums