ECN Forum
Posted By: Reel-Break gfci required? - 02/25/03 01:31 PM
Wiring a metal storage building 200amp service six 8' lights and 1 rec IS this rec required to be gfci protected?Can`t remember readind this in code ajh says yes but didn`t furnish art number. Thanks
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: gfci required? - 02/25/03 01:46 PM
If this is at a residential occupancy, then 210.8(A)(2) requires the receptacle to have GFCI protection. If this is not a residential occupancy, GFCI protection is not required by the code.
Don
Posted By: Reel-Break Re: gfci required? - 02/25/03 03:20 PM
Don thanks for the reply here`s what the ajh said this am. It is a commercial storage building behind a gun shop but he said with it having 2 roll up garage doors he quoted 511.12. I hate to fight out with him but the guy already has shelfs and it`s pretty clear it`s a storage facility and not a garage.Just thought I`d completely missed something in the code thanks again.
Posted By: WebSparky Re: gfci required? - 02/26/03 10:07 PM
Hi Reel-Break,

Personally, I always think of personel safety when I wire garages and commercial buildings. So as a result, I am always wondering why installing a GFCI is a big deal.
Given that the NEC is a minimum requirement for electrical safety, why do some contractors in certain situations opt for no GFCI?
I do not mean to sound disrespectful, I honestly don't understand.

Thanks,
Dave

[This message has been edited by WebSparky (edited 02-26-2003).]
Posted By: Reel-Break Re: gfci required? - 02/27/03 02:21 PM
Hey Web sparky,
It`s not a big deal.It`s a matter of $ That could have been my lunch today.Also I done a job that was code compliant and the inspector turned it down for the wrong reason leaving the storage building guy with a question of my work.But I always try to do my work neat and in most cases more than code worthy.I talked to AJH and I actually did put a gfci in but it cost me time and $8.00 No offence taken. Should gfci`s be put everywhere....no whats the difference.Are they safer everywhere...most likely.Thanks
Posted By: WebSparky Re: gfci required? - 02/27/03 11:34 PM
Reel-Break,

I have been in that situation myself on a few jobs years ago. After being embarassed in front of the customer, I just started explaining the benefits of a GFCI when I was selling the job and myself as an electrical contractor. When I was successful and sold the job based on having the customer's best interests at heart, the job always ended up with a happy customer and me making my profit margin. I know at times it sounds idealistic, but if we don't educate the customers, who will?

Thanks for not taking offence!
Dave
© ECN Electrical Forums