ECN Forum
Posted By: ga.sparky56 single receptacle - 02/25/03 01:44 AM
210.21(1) If I have a 20a individual ckt.does this mean that I'm not required to use a single recep,but if I do it must be rated at 20a? Russell
Posted By: Elzappr Re: single receptacle - 02/25/03 02:49 AM
Yup! That's what I see happening. The idea is that if you only have a single receptacle -- and the definition in Art 100 describes what a single receptacle is -- and its on its own dedicated 20A circuit, then its gotta be at least 20A rated. If it is on a dedicated 15A circuit, then it has to be at least 15A rated. You don't want to toast the receptacle while you are waiting for the breaker to trip.
You MIGHT be restricted to the use of a single OUTLET if the load exceeds 50% of the circuit rating--210.23(A)(2).
(Edited for stupidity)

[This message has been edited by Elzappr (edited 02-25-2003).]
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: single receptacle - 02/25/03 04:44 AM
i can understand that about useing singleplex repectale but what i still confuseing about how some ec still put duplex outlets under the sink i thought that undersink repectale for garbge dispoial should be on gfci with singleplex which i done that for prettylong time but i dont want to be embarrased to ask this stupid question but i want to make sure it is clear with the repectale under the sink i know somehow they did change the code some. and the same idea with laundry ckt too for washing machine i useally put single plex due the power drawage it run about anywhere from 8 to 12 amps.

merci marc

(sorry about this but do please help me with one so i can advoid misunderstood with the codes ) [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: caselec Re: single receptacle - 02/25/03 04:55 AM
210.8(6) Requires GFCI protection for receptacles that serve the countertop surfaces. A receptacle installed under the sink for the disposal would not serve the countertop surfaces.

Curt

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 02-24-2003).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: single receptacle - 02/25/03 05:37 AM
210.8(6) Requires GFCI protection for receptacles that serve the countertop surfaces. A receptacle installed under the sink for the disposal would not serve the countertop surfaces.

Curt:
Another scenario, please. A receptacle inside a cabinet that serves an electric ignition on a gas stove would or would not require a GFCI?
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: single receptacle - 02/25/03 05:37 AM
One of the reasons I asked this question is that I have seen various ahj's require a single recep at the washer.When I asked one of them about it, his reply was "its in the book" but I was never able to find it.Would the recep for the washer make any difference?Or was this ahj misinterpreting the rule?
Posted By: Steve T Re: single receptacle - 02/25/03 06:03 AM
You can have a duplex for a washer and dryer. 120volt of course. If you have a duplex and only a washer, then you have to use a GFCI. Um, check your local amendments as well.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: single receptacle - 02/25/03 06:22 AM
I replaced a painted-over simplex receptacle on a 120 volt 20-amp circuit with a 15-amp simplex Nema 5-15.

Only after I had closed everything up and was picking up the pieces (yes, it came out in pieces) of the old receptacle did I realize it was a Nema 5-20 simplex.

I found this out by looking at the round plastic face of the receptacle that had broken off when I pried the old paint-gleopped coverplate off the box.

It was too late by then to go back to the Home Depot store to get a 5-20 (and what's to bet they don't even have them in-stock *mad*). All the normal hardware stores were closed.

Must I replace the Nema 5-15 simplex with a 5-20?

It only powers a 110-volt 15-amp air condtioner during the summer. During the winter it's occasionally used for light duty appliances...like portable radios, a lamp or the occasional TV set.

Thanks.
Posted By: caselec Re: single receptacle - 02/25/03 06:31 AM
Thinkgood,
If your talking about a receptacle for a free standing range and the receptacle is accessible from the countertop then I would say, yes you do need to provide GFCI protection. If the receptacle is behind the range or in a cabinet for a cooktop then no GFCI protection is needed.

ga.sparky56,
210.11(2) Requires at least on 20 amp circuit for the laundry receptacle(s). It does NOT limit this circuit to a single receptacle. If this laundry equipment is being installed in a laundry room a duplex receptacle could be used. If the laundry equipment is located in a garage or unfinished basement and you are not using a gas dryer a single receptacle or GFCI receptacle would need to be installed. Ask the inspector to show you where in the book a single receptacle is required. Ask where the homeowner can plug in a gas dryer if they decided to get one in the future.

Curt

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 02-25-2003).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: single receptacle - 02/25/03 12:27 PM
This topic is all over the place. What is a simplex receptacle.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: single receptacle - 02/25/03 12:31 PM
I don't see the word single receptacle in 210.11(2) what am I missing? Sorry for being dense guys. Russell
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: single receptacle - 02/25/03 01:48 PM
What exactly is the question again?
Posted By: caselec Re: single receptacle - 02/25/03 03:53 PM
Russell,
Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking faster than I was typing last night and left out a word. I revised my post this morning.

Curt

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 02-25-2003).]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: single receptacle - 02/26/03 12:41 AM
Thanks to Elzappr and caslec for your help.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: single receptacle - 02/26/03 01:44 AM
'56,
Have a look at the following:

210.21(B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.
The NEC Handbook Exibit 100.6 states the following:

...A branch circuit that supplies one duplex receptacle that can accommodate two cord-and-plug-connected appliances or similar equipment is not an individual branch circuit.
Table 210.24 is very helpful as well. The "laundry circuit" in 210.11C, and 210.52F, IMHO is not a "washing machine circuit". In other words, if there was another laundry related piece of equipment in the laundry room, it should be allowed on the circuit. An example would be a dedicated receptacle for a "built-in" ironing board. The wording in 210.11C is laundry receptacle outlet(s), not washing machine outlet.
Now, I said all of that to say this. If I were installing the electric in a laundry room, I would install a single (simplex) outlet at the washer. I would also add other outlets, in the laundry room only, to the laundry circuit. Heck, as far as I know, there may be some appliance that can help me with 1. the grape juice on my oldest daughter's shirts, 2. the yellow 77 stains on my Wranglers, and 3. the "bacon strips" in the Watt Mama's underwear...... [Linked Image]

Taking out the laundry,
Doc
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: single receptacle - 02/26/03 02:01 AM
Thanks Doc, this makes things much clearer! Where I was confused,I think was the ahj in the 2 situations I mentioned both seemed to buy into your "washing machine ckt" and would not allow anything else(iron recep etc)on this ckt.Thanks all for the help! Russell p.s. after a bleach disaster my wife won't let me near the washer!

[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 02-25-2003).]
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: single receptacle - 02/26/03 04:02 AM
thanks guys for the help to steer it right now i can relax now thanks for the tip and anwser

merci marc
© ECN Electrical Forums