ECN Forum
Posted By: jeannem Ground rod - 02/22/03 06:02 AM
Can anyone tell me what the distance between my house and my ground rod should be in Washington State?

Thank you
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Ground rod - 02/22/03 02:48 PM
jeannem

You can look here for that information or you can call and ask them: http://www.lni.wa.gov/scs/electrical/

My guess is that the rod "electrode" must be driven beyond the footing, and that can be 12-18 inches away from the wall.

Rods driven to less than their total length of 8 feet, and not flush with or buried, also violate code, and .... create a serious tripping hazard as well!

I am aware of a story where a woman tripped and the rod (stuck up out of the ground) pierced through her eye, and out of the back of her head!!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-22-2003).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Ground rod - 02/22/03 03:11 PM
Rods driven to less than their total length of 8 feet, and not flush with or buried, also violate code, and .... create a serious tripping hazard as well!

I agree with the hazzard you describe, but if I pound it flush how does the inspector see the UL stamp if he wants to?

What is the code cite for this?

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-22-2003).]
Posted By: bobp Re: Ground rod - 02/22/03 03:18 PM
Normally you dig a little hole, put the rod in to the stamp, connect it, have it inspected, cover it. The inspector also usually wants to see the connecting clamp.

Bob
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Ground rod - 02/22/03 03:50 PM
250.53(G)

................. The upper end of the electrode shall be flush with or below ground level unless the aboveground end and the grounding electrode conductor attachment are protected against physical damage as specified in 250.10.

PS: How many are guilty of cutting a rod electrode?
Posted By: iwire Re: Ground rod - 02/22/03 05:12 PM
Thanks Joe, I have always left them up as I said and have never been questioned on it by an inspector, that may be because the large majority of the rods I put in are for temp services, I know the rules are the same but perhaps not enforced as much for the temps.

But the picture in my mind of someone's head impaled on one of my rods is enough to make me pound them flush, in the future.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-22-2003).]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Ground rod - 02/22/03 05:48 PM
Guilty as charged Joe.If I can't get one all the way in,I add another.Is this the right thing to do?
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Ground rod - 02/22/03 06:04 PM
If it is an 8' rod, then 250.52(A)(5) also requires it to be completely in the ground.
Don
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Ground rod - 02/22/03 06:08 PM
So if I drive 2 rods 1 only goes in 6'I drive another and abandon the short one?
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Ground rod - 02/22/03 06:18 PM
Easiest way out of this situation is to use a 10 foot 5/8 inch ground rod, and drive it in as deep as possible for the 8 feet.

The physical protection would be necessary for the exposed piece if it was subject to physical damage.

Don: If you recall when we met in Chicago a while back, I took a picture of the rod driven in the gas station next door to the hotel below the service they upgraded to a 4 wire wye service and that rod was exposed about 6 inches and was not a 10 foot rod.

I once sent in a proposal to require the rod to be driven to 7 ft 9 inches to allow the end to be visible, and was shot down because the committee wanted me to provide a fact finding report!!
Posted By: iwire Re: Ground rod - 02/22/03 06:41 PM
Now I am more confused, if I can't get an 8' rod in 8' how would I get an 10' rod in 8'?
Bob
Posted By: WebSparky Re: Ground rod - 02/22/03 06:52 PM
Hummm.....

The times I have had a problem getting a rod to full depth, I have had to pull it out and drive it at an angle (less than 45 degrees) and that has always worked. Maybe I have just been lucky!

Dave
© ECN Electrical Forums