ECN Forum
Do electrical plans have to be stamped by the engineer before plancheck and if so where in the codes does it state that?
Building,plumbing and mech. is in their admin section.
thank you
Depends on the local jurisdictions. Most require a stamp/seal on large projects, some require Engineer or Arch. stamp/seal on every electrical drawing..
Public water systems have been required to have the electrical stamped by EPA for some time. In the federal government we are exempt, but, the state of Idaho looking at the EPA requirements have said that the federal exemption no longer applies. Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, and California have not done this. Beyond this, I do not know as all the other work I do falls under the license exemption.

Shane
CCDave:
Welcome to ECN.
Here in NJ there are a few "rules":
Single family resi renovation or "minor" work, drawings/sketch by homeowner is acceptable, if homeowner is also the resident.

New construction resi is architect/engineer.
Comm/industrial is architect/engineer.
Signed & sealed prints and specs, 2 or 3 sets, varies by town.

For electrical & plumbing, drawings are acceptable w/calcs and specs from lic. contractors in "Class 2" towns only.

"Class 1" towns, ALL drawings/specs must be signed/sealed by engineer or architect.

The definitions of the town "classes" are involved and cannot be condensed to post here. If you want the details, please e-mail me, and I will respond.
John
The definitions of the town "classes" are involved and cannot be condensed to post here.

John, you gotta lotta class...
THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLIED
CCDAVE
Hi Dave, & welcome!
Contractors here can engineer their own jobs if they are going to do the work, otherwise they'll need the engineer's stamp for any job with an additional load.
What's the criteria in Culver City?
It makes plan check alot easier when an eng. has put in the time. We require it here, local "J" don't ya know.
John,

The town that you inspect for is it a class 1 town? Most of the towns that I work/worked for were all class 1 except for one town that is a class 3 town.

Harold
© ECN Electrical Forums