ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Can I Use Cable Ties with MC Cable? - 01/15/03 12:07 AM
Joe
I seem to frequently be involved in discussions over the use of cable ties as a supporting means for Metal-Clad Cable. Section 330.30 doesn't clearly state that cable ties can be used as a support method. I am aware that cable ties are clearly defined as a approved method in the following code locations, 320.30 Armored Cable, 334.30 Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cables, 338.10(B)(b) Service-Entrance Cable and 340.10(4). Could you give us your take on this subject?

Thanks

I would have no problem using cable ties, see 330.30 Securing and Supporting.
Type MC cable shall be supported and secured at intervals not exceeding 1.8 m (6 ft).
Posted By: sparky Re: Can I Use Cable Ties with MC Cable? - 01/15/03 12:21 AM
wasn't it panduit that achieved a listing status for 'support' a while back?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Can I Use Cable Ties with MC Cable? - 01/15/03 02:02 AM
Joe:
Don't forget the plenum rated tye wrpas for the drop ceiling areas.

John
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Can I Use Cable Ties with MC Cable? - 01/31/03 12:28 AM
FYI: Name-brand wire ties are "annealed" in a glycol bath, which has the effect of doubling their strength. No-name ties may not be so treated.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Can I Use Cable Ties with MC Cable? - 01/31/03 02:25 AM
Spaces above dropped ceilings used for environmental air are not plenums, see 300.22(C).

A plenum is defined in Article 100

A compartment or chamber to which one or more air ducts are connected and that forms part of the air distribution system.

I would use metallic types of ties instead of any that are nonmetallic.
© ECN Electrical Forums