ECN Forum
Posted By: Fred Smart House - 01/06/03 01:10 AM
I have a question concerning "Smart House" wiring. I have a large(8000sqft)custom home started and the customer has decided to install a "Smart House" system that will control lighting, HVAC and security via a computer interface. The customer has contracted a company to install this system. This company has not installed a smart house system before but has an employee who attended schooling for it last summer.
This company is telling me that I should wire all lighting circuits as I normally would but they will provide me with the switches for the lighting that I will wire just as I would a normal 1P, 3-way or 4-way switch. These switches they will provide will have additional terminals for their low voltage wiring which they will terminate. I have a meeting with a rep from this company scheduled for 01/07 and would like to have some input from anyone experienced with smart house systems before then. If anyone has any insight, please share it with me. It sounds a little fishy to me running 24V wire into a metal device box with 120V cable and a device with no dividers.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Smart House - 01/06/03 03:16 AM
Frank:

Review Article 780 Closed-Loop and Programmed Power Distribution
Posted By: Fred Re: Smart House - 01/06/03 03:24 AM
Joe,
I have reviewed the article. Hybrid cable has not been suggested on this job. Just my NM cable and the Smart House contractor's LV wire.
(Please note the name FRED, not FRANK)
© ECN Electrical Forums