ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/20/02 07:40 PM
My Question:

How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC?

My personal opinion:

As far as I am concerned it takes an entire career for anyone who is involved in the electrical industry!

I am still learning, and it has been almost 40 years now!

How much experience, or training should someone have before being introduced to the NEC?

The following comes from the NECH;

The National Electrical Code is not intended to be used as a design specification, or an instruction manual for untrained persons. The NEC is intended for use by capable engineers and electrical contractors in the design and/or installation of electrical equipment; by inspection authorities exercising legal jurisdiction over electrical installations; by property insurance inspectors; by qualified industrial, commercial, and residential electricians; and by instructors of electrical apprentices or students.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-20-2002).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/20/02 09:31 PM
Joe:
Like you said, it's a lifetime learning experience. I think that's why we have a mandatory continuing ed requirement here in NJ; EC's and AHJ'S

IMHO, I don't think that "anybody" knows the complete Code, the key is knowing where to locate the answer to your question!

John
Posted By: sparky Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/20/02 11:17 PM
i figure on being buried with the edition out at the time....
I sometimes wonder if it's "Learnable"!
Posted By: Bjarney Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/20/02 11:29 PM
Like HotLine said, you never quit learning the NEC. Part of one's understanding also comes with teaching others.

It used to amaze me how Joe McPartland could quote Code text. He musta' had a perfectly photographic memory.
Posted By: Ron Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/21/02 12:33 AM
I will share you admiration for Joe when he makes his next sales visit to my office, unless your speaking of his dad.
Posted By: Tom Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/21/02 12:35 AM
How long does it take? How about forever?

Did you ever notice that look on an electricians face when he realizes that he has been doing something wrong for 10 or 15 years?

While we're on the subject of the NEC, I'm amazed by how many electricians do not own a current copy or have even cracked open a code book since their apprenticeship days.

Tom
Even the better ones here will ask for advice rather than open the NEC up...

I'm working on a list of common violations to help me refer to them quicker, mostly residential stuff.

I've got one page and I'm only up to section 212!

Heck, I might even get another copy of the NEC, one for the truck and one for the 'puter desk.

Virgil "Electrical Evangelist" Kelly

[Linked Image]

PS:

Did anyone see the movie Dragnet with Tom Hanks and Dan Akroyd? Were you as impressed as I was when "Joe Friday" started spouting out code sections (law, of course, not NEC)?

It was supposed to be parody, but I shouted out loud, "Go Joe"!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-20-2002).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/21/02 01:02 AM
Ron -- Senior. He did once mention having 9 sons--all "in the industry."
Posted By: sparky Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/21/02 01:45 AM
Did you ever notice that look on an electricians face when he realizes that he has been doing something wrong for 10 or 15 years?

note to self....

install mirror by computer......
Posted By: wirewiz Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/21/02 01:55 AM
AN ETERNITY! It changes all the time
Every time I think I've learned something in it; the code changes, or the local governing agency amends it to suit their needs. [Linked Image]

As far as apprentices go they should be introduced to it before when start in the field. They need to understand that just about everthing you do in the field is governed by the code. They should also be taught how to read it. To me it made a lot more sense when I finally figured out how to apply what I was reading in the book to what I was installing in the field. To me a number of instructors fail to get that message across in the begining. (just my personal opinion)

Wirewiz
Posted By: txsparky Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/21/02 02:28 AM
I've always tried to teach apprentices to read a setion that pertains to what job they are doing. ie...If we're wiring a house,read the section on type NM.If we're running EMT,read that section.It's always helped me,and I've been in the business since 1977.

I also ask them to post any questions they may have on ECN. [Linked Image]
Posted By: bobp Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/21/02 11:08 PM
How long to learn the NEC? The guy who says he knows the NEC is like the bachelor who says he understands women, both are either complete idiots or liars. Everytime I think I know it all, along comes somebody who proves me wrong.
Posted By: spyder Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/22/02 01:09 AM
There is no end to learning it because it changes so much every three years. Experiences navigators are definetly more effecient at using it and as I heard someone once say "use the NEC as a tool, not a weapon."
In my role as an instructor for apprentice programs my approach is not to "learn the code", but instead, to "learn how to use the code".

It is important to know which Sections are general sections, and which are supplementary, and/or ammendatory, to what rule or sub-rule an exception applies, and that type of thing.

Ed
Posted By: Scott35 Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/22/02 06:45 AM
I agree with everyone else. It's always going to have sections which must be discussed in depth for a proper interpretation.

Heck, I can only recite a handfull of stuff from it - and this is from close to 20 Years of reading it! This list is:

* A few items in Art. 90, 100, 200 - 250 and 310.
* A few tables in 250 and 310 (310-16 to be exact) - but still only a "Nibble".
* Some of the stuff from Appendixes.

Just learning how to navigate through it takes time!

Virgil,

Love the way Dan Ackroyd can just throw out stuff like that!!!

Per Dragnet, tosses out the exact code section and information per written - all in like one breath!

Per Coneheads, descriptive wording of ANYTHING just rolls out like a well oiled machine!
Example: "Educational Facility for training and protocol involved with operation of internal combustion Vehicles" = Driving School.

Wish I could do that without getting toung tied!

I do the same thing! "Go Dan, Go!!!"

Very impressive!

Scott s.e.t.
Posted By: sparky Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/22/02 11:21 AM
let us also consider theory...

[Linked Image from images.google.com]
I learn more from the Inspectors, right after the point the bad stuff to us!
Posted By: sparky Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/23/02 10:18 AM
JGE,i find said exchange priceless as some AHJ's have been carear tradesmen. However AHJ's here are scarce as nats in a windstorm.... [Linked Image]

guess i should get the GOOD donuts??
[Linked Image]
I figure that by the end of your apprenticeship that you have enough of a handle on the code, and electrical work, to begin to realize how much you don't know.
After about three years of work, you begin to have an idea of how the code "thinks," and are pretty decent at guessing where the code will lead, and can judge whether or not it's time for some research.
Right about then they re-issue the thing, and you have to stary over.
Posted By: hurk27 Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/27/02 04:32 AM
Ever feel like were going backward's at this learning thing LOL
Posted By: jes Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn the NEC? - 11/28/02 01:59 PM
Joe, I agree with you, one never really learns the Code completely. Having served on NEC Technical Committees I learned how much I really DIDN'T know about particular areas in spite of using a document for many years. I think the best reflection about this is the fact that every new edition comes out with little vertical bars printed alongside of some text...these are changes for SOME reason. It might take you an entire Code cycle to learn why!! J.
Hello John:

If a question on a change made in the code is asked, most of those in the electrical industry will probably look in the ROP and ROC. We have had many discussions here and the ECN Membership includes some who have archives of Preprints, TCR's, TCD's and other documentation dating back many years.
© ECN Electrical Forums