ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Do you have an opinion? - 11/14/02 03:41 PM
sent by gary brauner

Comments: what is your "interpretation of 230-6?

Would you approve a c.t. can inside a room with the disconnecting mean and the meter 8 feet inside on a wall adjoining the main body of the house!

I believe the conductors are to be outside the structure or encased in 2" of concrete or brick.

My supervisor believes the article 230-6 is superceded by 230-3, and 230-70 as the disconnect id immediately inside or close to the point of entry (his terms)

Do you have an opinion?
gary brauner
hibrau@hgea.org
Posted By: mj Re: Do you have an opinion? - 11/19/02 11:13 PM
the distance is left up to th ahj. we use a 5 ft max
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Do you have an opinion? - 11/20/02 12:31 AM
In the areas of NJ that I am familiar with:
18"; 12", "as close as possible"; 3'; and "none". ie: into the back of the panel or main disc at the point of entry.
It is a decision by the local AHJ; it's best to get that "decision" prior to the install if you are not familiar with the locale.
The other alternative is concrete/brick encasement of 2" on all sides.

Being "around for a while" fortunately I know most of the areas, until a "fill-in" inspector shows up.

Your interpertation is the same as I look at it.
John

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 11-19-2002).]
Posted By: ayrton Re: Do you have an opinion? - 12/13/02 02:55 PM
When you say "c.t.' are you referring to current transformer? I do not do resi. Why would they put a ct cabinet in a house? Over 400a?
Posted By: harold endean Re: Do you have an opinion? - 12/14/02 04:49 AM
Joe,

I agree with John, I have seen a lot of different distances on the inside of the house where the main service is located. The AHJ will have the final word on it. If I was inspecting the job, I would want it as close as possible, as safe as possible or encased in concrete. I have seen where a cable would drop from the ceiling down 4 feet, but it was all above 6 foot high so that you couldn't reach the service cable. I have also made guys install pipe in concrete when they ran a service inside the building because the pipe was subject to physical damage. It is a hard call to make. Get the AHJ out there before you do the job, and I think everyone will be happier.

Harold
© ECN Electrical Forums