ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky best woodshop wiring methods - 11/04/02 11:40 AM
I'm about to wire a small woodshop, a retiree is making cabinetry, etc. The place will be open, no sheetrock.
I am questioning wheather to use pvc drops ,pvc boxes,pvc covers or emt drops and w/p boxes & covers here.

any advice appreciated, thanx

~Steve
[Linked Image]
Posted By: spyder Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/04/02 05:48 PM
I would go for the EMT over the PVC and you should consider enclosures that are dust tight.
Posted By: Pearlfish Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/04/02 06:30 PM
Here we call them Plenum boxes. They have no holes in them and the covers have gasket material glued to one side.
Posted By: sparky Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/04/02 08:09 PM
Plenum boxes
very interesting Pearlfish...... slang aside, is there a proper 'parts' name for these ?
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/05/02 02:42 AM
I've found that PVC boxes and especially the covers are prohibitively expensive for anything but the most understanding agricultural work.

Yes, please more info on the plenum boxes!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-04-2002).]
Posted By: Pearlfish Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/05/02 03:43 PM
Sparkey, Appleton lists their 4" box as "4SPD Plenum Box" 2 1/8" deep, and the cover as "8465P Plenum box cover". If you need it in 4 11/16" they are "4SP-JD Plenum box" and "8487P cover".
Posted By: sparky Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/05/02 09:05 PM
ok, i'm at the Appleton site, but i'm having trouble locating that exact #'s reference there.....

~PS,
it is my intention to run nm exposed @ 9' on rafters and 'pipe down' , barring any objections here
Posted By: Roger Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/06/02 01:16 AM
Steve, being an amature wood worker, I know in my shop (basement) I lean things up against every wall at times. I would lean towards the metal, and dust tight boxes.

Also, if by some chance you may be asked to run the dust collection pipes, there is some concern over static started fires in PVC systems.

If you are asked, let me know and I will try to find an article for you.

Roger
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/06/02 03:41 AM
...static started fires in PVC systems.

[Linked Image]

More please!

*fears litigation from future fires from statically charged PVC installations*

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Roger Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/06/02 05:25 PM
Sparky66, this is not the article I was talking about, but I'm at work and don't have it here. This is one I came across on a forum a while back though. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000418.html

Roger
Posted By: Pearlfish Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/06/02 05:26 PM
Here is the URL for the Plenum boxes on the Appleton site; they are listed in section OB/SB-1.
http://www.appletonelec.com/pdf/SquareArmored.pdf

I have catalog 005 and they are on page 25 in the blue OB/SB-1 section.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: George Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/07/02 12:18 AM
The static with dust collection issue comes up from time to time.

It seems that no one is able to demonstrate that the problem exists.

One needs enough charged dust to prpagate a flame. That is very difficult to obtain.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/08/02 12:35 AM
I believe that "Fine Woodworking" or "Fine Homebuilding" magazine addressed the issue of static in PVC dust collection systems. The final answer was that the NFPA did not consider the issue to be a risk until you reached CFM levels far above anything a household shop would be able to generate.
As for the wiring, not only do I lean toward EMT (solvent resistance, won't sag over time), but I suggest the use of minerlac hangers (as opposed to bending offsets), and supporting the pipe twice as much as usual.
The clearance that the hangers will give the pipe will prevent dust from collecting there. The additional hangers are for supporting the rags, clamps, etc. that are sure to be hung from the EMT.
Another suggestion: make liberal use of "drop cords." These are cord caps hung from a box on the ceiling, using the rubber-grommet strain relief bushings and short lengths of SO cord.
Posted By: sparky Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/08/02 02:00 AM
Pearlfish,
thanks for the pdf link, i'll check it out with my supplier vs. pvc.

As to 'dust collection', i've wired spark detection units in industry , but this is a small residential glorified vacuum cleaner deal here.
My confusion is over area classification if a dust collection system exists, apparently there will be a HEPA air filter system also.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/08/02 02:34 AM
My Dad recently installed a Grizzly Dust Collection System for his basement woodshop. Specs for the installation included running a bare copper wire wrapped externally around the 4 in. (?) ribbed flexible plastic conduits wherever they ran. I couldn't find any info at the site on this though.

[Linked Image from grizzly.com]
Posted By: sparky Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/08/02 10:22 AM
Another suggestion: make liberal use of "drop cords."

It's been brought up John, are there reasons or should i say preferances as to cieling receptacles vs. a cord drop ?
Posted By: John Steinke Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/13/02 12:52 AM
I like the "ceiling drop" in many applications because this is a way of getting power to the middle of the room without running a cord on the floor- where you can trip over it. A "drop" over a table also lets you move around the table at will, without getting tangled up. With the plugs at about 75", they're easy to reach without being at 'head bumping' level.
It's simply a design choice.
Posted By: sparky Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/13/02 10:20 AM
cord drops would be a prudent choice in this 24x36 open shop.

i suppose that the issue of dust invasion, vs. box/device, becomes somewhat less a concern also?
Posted By: hurk27 Re: best woodshop wiring methods - 11/27/02 04:43 AM
I have a vision
inspector is going into a wood shop to inspect for wireing violations trips over a pile of wood and hanges himself on a cord drop that has a twist loc and wont release

Instance red tag LOL
© ECN Electrical Forums