ECN Forum
Posted By: tmon Receptacles in wet locations - 11/01/02 05:44 PM
In reference to 406.8(B)(2)(a), receptacles in wet locations shall have a cover that provides weather protection whether the plug is inserted or not. I am looking for a heavy duty type cover for this use. I was wondering if anyone knows of a manufacturer that produces a product like this. The cheap plastic ones break in heavy usage areas and usually the cover will not close whenever a large cord is used. Anyone have any info on this?? Thanks, Tom
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Receptacles in wet locations - 11/01/02 07:26 PM
Tmon:
Mulberry (Mullbery) Metal products used to have a cast aluminum bubble cover that was inpressive looking, and pretty sturdy. They may still be available. Most of the supply houses carry Mulberry Products, they make all kinds of device plates, FS boxes, 4" sq blanks, etc. Check your supply house.
Mullbery is in Union, NJ, and I don't know if they have a web page, but a search engine will tell.
John
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Receptacles in wet locations - 11/20/02 12:46 AM
Pass & Seymore has metal "bubble" covers.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Receptacles in wet locations - 11/20/02 03:02 AM
Mason/RedDot sells a metal in-use waterproof cover called a "CodeKeeper" cover. Big ugly die-cast aluminum thing, but it works. Available at the big orange/blue box stores...
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Receptacles in wet locations - 11/20/02 03:08 AM
The cheap plastic-all-clear ones are about $10.

The better plastic-grey-with-clear-cover ones are about $20. (Steel-City)

I'm afraid to ask what the metal ones cost!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wageoghe Re: Receptacles in wet locations - 11/20/02 02:58 PM
I have also seen a smoother metal in-use cover from Intermatic. I don't see it on their website, but I did see it in Lowe's.

It was metal, so it seemed like it would be sturdier than the plastic ones and had a much smoother, less industrial look, so it is more attractive than the CodeKeeper.

The only type that I saw was a vertical mount that included inserts ( like the plastic bubble types ) for a duplex receptacle, gfci, and switch.
© ECN Electrical Forums