ECN Forum
Posted By: falcondfb recessed cans over hot tubs - 10/23/02 01:09 PM
it has always been my impression that the "zone" over a tub measuring 8' from the lip of the tub up and 3' out needs to be a covered recesed can. but that isn't what the code says. any opinions?
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: recessed cans over hot tubs - 10/23/02 01:48 PM
You can put a sconce there if you want, I have so far in two houses after finding out that there wasn't a code disallowing them.

These were tub spaces, not showers, and they were in the plans...
Posted By: Redsy Re: recessed cans over hot tubs - 10/23/02 03:55 PM
410.4(D) will permit a surface mounted, or recessed fixtures in "the zone". Only cord connected, hanging, track, or pendant fixtures, and paddle fans are prohibited.
Posted By: spyder Re: recessed cans over hot tubs - 10/23/02 08:28 PM
Does a sconce in this tub location need to be listed "for use in a wet location"?
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: recessed cans over hot tubs - 10/24/02 08:46 PM
Spyder, A wall next to a tub is no more a wet location than a wall next to a sink.
Falcon, you said correctly, that is not what the code says.
Hey I want cool name too. Maybe I clould be Cheetah or something like that. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 10-24-2002).]
Posted By: spyder Re: recessed cans over hot tubs - 10/25/02 12:20 AM
Electricman Scott,
Thanks for the info and the positive feedback on the nickname [Linked Image]

Phil
Posted By: Redsy Re: recessed cans over hot tubs - 10/25/02 11:41 AM
Hyy 66,

You can put a wall mounted fixture in "the zone"?!

Call me(drum roll please)...."The Hawk" [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: recessed cans over hot tubs - 10/25/02 02:37 PM
Redsy,

My gut feeling says "no", but I've yet to find anything saying so, unless one would want to stretch 410.4(A)&(B)...

Plus, back during the infancy of this forum, Bill pointed this out (I concede that it may have been an anomoly of the '99 code...).

Was that a crushed "buzz" roll or an open 32nd note roll? (I can only do the open ones... never have figured out the crushed thing...)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Redsy Re: recessed cans over hot tubs - 10/25/02 03:45 PM
'66',

The buzzroll is easier because it doesn't require the discipline of an open 32nd (double-stroke). Just mush(not a typo) the sticks into the head and it happens.

...The Hawk
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: recessed cans over hot tubs - 10/25/02 10:04 PM
I think Im going to pass on "cheetah" and go with Mongoose. Please update your files! [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums