ECN Forum
Posted By: jlhmaint Paint booth classification and division - 10/21/02 06:45 PM
Ok i have a paint booth that is open at one end and has exausht at other end what would it be classified. class I Div I or class I div II or class II div I or class II div II, i need to order an electric lift table for the booth and i need to know what classification i need on the table iam going to look at NEC after this post any help would be great.
Posted By: spyder Re: Paint booth classification and division - 10/21/02 08:48 PM
Take a close look at 516.12 and 516.3.
It might be worthwhile to have a qualified engineer make the classification for you.
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: Paint booth classification and division - 10/22/02 01:45 AM
according to 500-7, (a) FPN NO 1 (2) interiors of spray booths

and 516-2 and 516-3,

i would say the lift table would have to be class I division I and we would have to run rigid conduit.
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Paint booth classification and division - 10/22/02 04:03 AM
It is NOT an electricians duty to determine hazardous location classifications . check the "E" drawing specs from the buildings prints.Ask the business owner for them. The engineer will have already classified the area(s).
presence of combustible vapors present during normal operation , I think ClassI Div.I. I havent done much hazardous location work (except new construction at hospitals, etc where classification was done already) But I had to study it for my license.
I will follow this post , A friend has asked me to wire a backyard paint booth/shop for him.I was a little weary of taking it on for AHJ purposes and the cost of rigid/chico/seal-offs etc etc

[This message has been edited by Sean WB (edited 10-22-2002).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Paint booth classification and division - 10/22/02 09:00 AM
i did gas stations for 2 yrs straight, never once saw an engineer, rarely saw an AHJ.
(which for the record, is a bummer...)
[Linked Image]

point?----editor [Linked Image]

when in doubt upgrade the classification.....
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: Paint booth classification and division - 10/22/02 11:50 AM
the paint booth was built by the maint dept about 5yrs ago no engineer ever classified the area, we are trying to change this type of thing and we need the table to be compliant
© ECN Electrical Forums