ECN Forum
Posted By: spyder Residential Dishwasher - 10/15/02 12:44 AM
Is a residential everyday type dishwasher required to have a means of disconnect other than the branch circuit fuse or cicuit breaker?
Posted By: sparky Re: Residential Dishwasher - 10/15/02 01:10 AM
welcome spyder,

the 'off' position of most domestic dishwashers will not accept LOTO , which is why i suspect some locale's require a s.p. countertop switch.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Residential Dishwasher - 10/15/02 01:45 AM
A lot of contractors in my area are now installing a receptacle under the sink.
Posted By: sparky Re: Residential Dishwasher - 10/15/02 11:11 AM
harold,
i do this exclusively, many times running a 3-wire for a future (undecided) pig.

i think it's a better job

[Linked Image]
Posted By: walrus Re: Residential Dishwasher - 10/15/02 06:52 PM
Why do you need to LOTO a dishwasher, can't one LOTO the breaker that runs the dishwasher?. I can't see not using a dedicated circuit for DW unless it was put in after the fact.
Posted By: spyder Re: Residential Dishwasher - 10/15/02 07:32 PM
I agree that it might be a better installation to put a recptacle under the sink, but does the NEC require it or another means of disconnect within site of the unit? And if so would a LOTO on the circuit breaker be a legal exception?
Posted By: sparky Re: Residential Dishwasher - 10/15/02 10:22 PM
part III of 422 gets into this. I think the LOTO part comes from 422.31(B), not that the average home owner or DIY'er would carry any.

422.34 details the different occupancies

this here [Linked Image] me.....

422.34 Unit Switch(es) as Disconnecting Means.
A unit switch(es) with a marked-off position that is a part of an appliance and disconnects all ungrounded conductors shall be permitted as the disconnecting means required by this article where other means for disconnection are provided in the following types of occupancies.

(C) One-Family Dwellings. In one-family dwellings, the service disconnecting means shall be permitted to be the other disconnecting means.

i'm a tad stuck on the verbage here, inparticular the 'other disco means'.....
Posted By: spyder Re: Residential Dishwasher - 10/16/02 08:31 PM
Would an inspector have the right to red tag a job based on the NEC if the dishwasher was hooked up directly with means of disconnect other than the circuit breaker?
© ECN Electrical Forums