ECN Forum
Posted By: Tommy Light Fixtures - 08/29/02 05:25 PM
Can you install MC cable from fixture to fixture using the fixture support wires as the support for the MC cable also (without using separate junction boxes)? This is a commercial job. The cable ranges from 6' to 12'. Several people (including some inspectors) have said that it can be done this way. The problem that I am running into is that the inspecting engineer on this particular job sites it as a NEC violation if done this way.

I have found several code articles (330.30, 330.30B, 348, 376.56, 386.56, and 410.31) that read that it can be done this way. I have yet to find one that states it cannot.

If someone knows the exact article section in the NEC that states that it CANNOT be done this way, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tommy

[This message has been edited by Tommy (edited 08-29-2002).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Light Fixtures - 08/29/02 08:15 PM
That is an important subject. The 'inspecting engineer' may not hold the authority of an AHJ, but may have something more important—direct influence on whether you or your employer get paid in a timely manner.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 08-30-2002).]
Posted By: harold endean Re: Light Fixtures - 08/29/02 08:20 PM
Tom,

If the job is spec'd out by an engineer and you don't follow the engineers spec's, then I think the AHJ can fail the job. You are suppose to install a job as per the manufactures instructions and as per the engineer/architect designs it. It is not always a NEC code violation.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Light Fixtures - 08/30/02 02:37 AM
Tommy:
There is a thread in "General Discussions" that has the same question that you asked here.
Are you asking if the MC cable can be supported by the ceiling grid support wires?
OR
Are you asking about the length of the MC cable from fixture to fixture?

If the "Inspecting Engineer" says that it's a violation, then the NEC Article should be referenced by him.

Please read my comments in the other thread...

I'll post the NEC article tommorow. my book is in my truck & it's raining...
HotLine1
John
Posted By: Geno Re: Light Fixtures - 08/30/02 12:31 PM
Check 330.30(B) and 300.11
Posted By: Tommy Re: Light Fixtures - 08/30/02 01:19 PM
Thanks for all of your responses.

Bjarney: You're absolutely correct!

HEndean: This job was drawn up by a different engineer other than the one who is now inspecting the final job. The original plans did not specifiy the use of boxes. The job was completely installed per manufactures instructions and designs.

John: My question is can you run MC cable from fixture to fixture if supported independant to the ceiling system? Again, the length averages between 6' and 12'. Per my interpretation of the code, I can. The inspector's interpretation of the code is that I cannot.

Geno: I have read those code sections.

Thanks again for all of your responses.
© ECN Electrical Forums