ECN Forum
Posted By: All Lites converting T12 lamps to T8 lamps?? - 08/19/02 06:05 PM
What I have exsisting is a 4 lamp 4 foot fixture with two magnetic ballasts. As it is now, they are switched, 2 lamps per switch. I'm converting it over to a electronic ballasts. Can I use a single electronic to run all four lamps as opposed to running two ballasts switched? Or is there a code that I have to keep them switched? Thanks in advance for any help offered. I'm in CA btw.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: converting T12 lamps to T8 lamps?? - 08/19/02 08:33 PM
AllLites:
It's common here to install 1-4lite T8, F32 ballast to replace 2-2lamp T12 F40 (F34) ballasts.
CA may have an energy code, requiring "split wired" fixtures.
It's best to check with the local AHJ, or utility Co.
HotLine1
John
Posted By: dana1028 Re: converting T12 lamps to T8 lamps?? - 08/19/02 09:28 PM
All - CA does have their Title 24 - Energy Conservation code requirements - (this is a large body of law covering lots of areas - I don't have the particular legal citation but any bldg. dept. will have that information for you ) this 'split' switch is a requirement.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: converting T12 lamps to T8 lamps?? - 08/19/02 11:48 PM
Contact me via e-mail and I can give you some links for Title 24.

Basically you will need to retain "Bi-Level" switching, which cuts 1/2 the lighting power [half of the total lights per room or area].
This can be done by either using 2 lamp ballasts in each fixture, or creating a "Checkerboard" making every other fixture on the opposite switch. Checkerboard method allows you to use 4 lamp ballasts, but does not end up as uniform as the "A/B Per Fixture" method does.

Sounds [Linked Image] or maybe [Linked Image]

Contact me via e-mail at:
dtbigred@pacbell.net

Scott S.E.T.
Posted By: All Lites Re: converting T12 lamps to T8 lamps?? - 08/20/02 03:13 PM
Thanks gentlemen! Scott you have mail
© ECN Electrical Forums