ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky66wv Vapor Proof Fixture- Dwelling? - 08/02/02 03:28 PM
[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]

[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]

What is the operative word here... "in" or "dwelling"? In other words, is it OK to install this above a basement door below a porch in (on?) a dwelling?

Again, this 100% Compliance thing is really complicated... but I'm trying my best...
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Vapor Proof Fixture- Dwelling? - 08/02/02 04:59 PM
I've never understood why that fixture can't be used in dwellings. Does anyone know?
Don
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Vapor Proof Fixture- Dwelling? - 08/02/02 06:49 PM
Aw man, do I gotta rip this thing down?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Vapor Proof Fixture- Dwelling? - 08/02/02 11:03 PM
I don't know Don, it's really of better quality that most interior fixtures anyway..
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Vapor Proof Fixture- Dwelling? - 08/02/02 11:35 PM
Ah yes living by the letter of the law!
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Vapor Proof Fixture- Dwelling? - 08/03/02 12:36 AM
Well, see I'm thinking about replacing my truck, and I'd like to get a pair of magnetic signs (my current truck has too much bondo...), and I was thinking of a slogan...

KELLY ELECTRIC
Residential, Light-Duty Commercial
100% Code Compliant Electrical Work

Figure I better make sure I'm living up to it first...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rabbit Re: Vapor Proof Fixture- Dwelling? - 08/03/02 01:13 AM
Yeah those are cool. I always wanted to put a red bulb with a flasher button in one of those. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Vapor Proof Fixture- Dwelling? - 08/03/02 01:40 AM
Rabbit, don't be goin' and givin' me any ideas, now!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Vapor Proof Fixture- Dwelling? - 08/03/02 12:43 PM
lol!, quite the reverse, your attention to detail is commendable Vig....perhaps the 'white book' or UL link would provide rationale?

BTW...
i once saw a 'lectrical rig that said....

We'll Check Your Shorts

i can't believe S/He actuall put that on a truck......
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Vapor Proof Fixture- Dwelling? - 08/03/02 02:00 PM
I worked for a company that had "Voltswagon" on the back of the trucks and "we get your juices flowing" on the shirts. Another local guy had "Let us remove your shorts" in his newspaper ad. Also is the fixture mounted in the dwelling. If it was on a dwelling i would fail to see a problemn.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Vapor Proof Fixture- Dwelling? - 08/03/02 02:15 PM
E-scott,

Yep, that's sort of what I'm getting at too, I'm guessing that the're trying to avoid these being used inside, but under this porch, completely enclosed is rather a gray area, and the operative word being "in" as opposed to "on" may be the loophole...

But the question remains as to why?
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Vapor Proof Fixture- Dwelling? - 08/04/02 05:14 AM
Ten points out of 10, '66'!
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Vapor Proof Fixture- Dwelling? - 09/18/02 03:42 AM
UL often has different protocols for residential and commercial/industrial constructions. I'm only guessing here, but I suspect that there is some concern about the largest allowed bulb making the fixture hot enough to pose a risk to easily ignitable materials.
Solutions? Stonco doesnt' have a problem with their product. Use a smaller, or compact fluorescent bulb. Place where there are no drapes, etc., and there is plenty of ventilation around it.
© ECN Electrical Forums