ECN Forum
Posted By: Volunteer Missionary remodel work - 04/22/02 02:56 AM
Mopping up some volunteer work.. Used to help my father a lot, (journeyman electrician, and have taken a few courses myself, but haven't seen enough to know the best fix for this one...)
Q: A volunteer crew decides to add 3/8" drywall over an existing wall. (actually throughout the entire house...) now, as you can imagine, the boxes are no longer flush with the wall, but recessed... Someone told me that they would shim the devices out with washers, but i can hardly believe this meets code..

I seem to recall some sort of box extension is available for this, but havent been able to find it. (perhaps no longer allowed by code?)

(also should mention I am at least 50 miles from the closest building supply center and probably 150 miles from the closest electrical distributor....)

what to do??
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: remodel work - 04/22/02 10:46 AM
Start driving. These boxes should be witihin 1/4" of the finished surface.An extender will do the trick. Check out tis link. www.aifittings.com/m_9.htm
Posted By: Volunteer Missionary Re: remodel work - 04/22/02 11:25 AM
Thanks, knew they existed, but every search for box extentions lead to nowhere on the web... now to convince the local hardware store to order them for me... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: remodel work - 04/22/02 08:31 PM
VM--

Have you tried contacting Arlington directly? (They might UPS you a package of 25 just for asking...for a volunteer project.)
© ECN Electrical Forums