ECN Forum
Posted By: Martin Flexible Cable Entering a Panel - 02/06/02 10:35 PM
I have an electrical panel that has three flexible cables entering in from the top of the panel. I told the department that I thought it was a violation of NEC code. I have found the listed references.

Are there any other codes that would apply?, or is this a ligitmate way of tying into the panel.

400-3 Suitability
Flexible cords and cables and their associated fittings shall be suitable for the conditions of use and location

400-8(1) Uses Not Permitted
Unless specifically permitted in Section 400-7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

400-7(b) Uses Permitted
(b) Attachment Plugs. Where used as permitted is subsections (a)(3), (a)(6) and (a)(8), each flexible cord shall be equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized from a receptacle outlet.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Flexible Cable Entering a Panel - 02/07/02 03:24 AM
Are we talking NMB, MC, SJ, SO.....???? What kind of flexible cable are we discussing here? I am assuming something along the lines of So or SJ, but we all know what assuming does.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Flexible Cable Entering a Panel - 02/07/02 09:51 PM
Martin,

It looks like you've got your references already. I've seen, just recently, where someone had their Dryer connected to the panel with 10/3 S cord. It was at that stage where the outside rubber is starting to deteriorate. I informed the Homeowner of the situation, but never heard back from them.

Bill
Posted By: Art Ritchie Re: Flexible Cable Entering a Panel - 03/06/02 06:51 PM
Martin,
Is this temporary wiring? I would only approve the installation you describe if it is temporary wiring and in compliance with article 305. Otherwise, it should be replaced with an approved permanent wiring method. Regards, Art
© ECN Electrical Forums