ECN Forum
Posted By: whitaker multi-outlet surge protectors - 01/09/02 09:17 PM
Recently I was asked if multi-outlet surge protector extension cords are legal as a permanent power source. My initial reaction was no since they are still an extension cord, but I can't find the section in the 1997 NEC that applies. Section 240-4 doesn't address this product.

Thanks for all your help!!!
Posted By: Elzappr Re: multi-outlet surge protectors - 01/10/02 05:54 AM
Here's a start. 210-50(b) says that a receptacle outlet shall be installed wherever flexible cords with attachment plugs are used. I looked under 400 (Flexible cords and cables) and noted 400-7(b) which requires cord and plug appliances and equipment to be energized from a receptacle outlet. Looking under "receptacle outlet" and "receptacle" in definitions of Art 100 we see that they are talking about receptacles on a yoke..which pretty much rules out your power strips.
There is some language in 410-56(g),that actually pertains to the context of fixture wiring but might be repeated somewhere else in the Code, that: "No receptacle shall be installed so as to require an energized attachment plug as its source of supply."
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: multi-outlet surge protectors - 01/11/02 12:17 AM
whitaker,

Take a look on the back of the strip. chances are that is says the word 'Temporary' somewhere, which would probably also be a condition of it's UL listing.

Bill
Posted By: watthead Re: multi-outlet surge protectors - 01/11/02 03:30 AM
Whit
Where did you get that 1997 NEC anyway? I don't think we got that one down here.
Posted By: electure Re: multi-outlet surge protectors - 01/11/02 12:30 PM
These things are used extensively around here. The Fire Depts here don't seem to consider them an extension cord, as they don't write them up in their inspections.
As a "temporary", does that mean they must be unplugged and plugged back in once every 90 days? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: multi-outlet surge protectors - 01/11/02 02:10 PM
The one I have in front of me says on the back "Temporary Power Tap" and the UL sticker says; "Listed Relocatable Power Tap"

I do unplug it ocassionally during storms or vacations, but no, not every 90 days [Linked Image]
(don't send Joe's 'Enforcer Guy' after me!) [Linked Image]

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-11-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums