ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkless Unused UF cable - 12/14/01 07:11 PM
I'm re-grading my parking lot. I may want to install a outdoor lit sign in future. I want to lay conduit with UF cable pulled now but not connected to any services. I just want to trench now while I'm working on my asphalt. Pulling the cable now was easier because of my long run. The local county electical inspectors are giving me a notice of non-conforming work. Am I able by NEC code to lay conduot with unused UF cable and no connections or service hookups? What do I need to do to comply? Thanks
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Unused UF cable - 12/15/01 02:32 AM
sparkless,

Welcome!
Did they specify what the violation was?

Bill
Posted By: Redsy Re: Unused UF cable - 12/15/01 02:53 AM
What is the depth & length of the trench and what type of conduit? Why UF as opposed to individual conductors?
Posted By: sparkless Re: Unused UF cable - 12/15/01 03:35 AM
No NEC reference was made. Report states that empty conduit must be empty.

Depth of trench is 2 feet. Length of trench is approx 150 feet. Conduit is grey PVC 1-1/2 inch. I ran UF rather than bare because My electrician told me to pull UF 12-2 with ground. I did not mention earlier that, that a second defect was that I need to add a junction break to keep 360 degrees or less per run. I think this is unrelated to having unused wire pulled and idle. I am going to cut my one run and add a junction to keep bends less than 360 degrees per run.

Thanks for response.
Posted By: Nick Re: Unused UF cable - 12/15/01 04:14 AM
There could be some debate on weather or not UF is allowed in conduit. But besides that, will they let you install a properly supported WP box at the end of the run and cap the conductors inside? They are probably worried the wire will be inadvertently energized at some point leaving a serious hazard to the public.
Posted By: sparkless Re: Unused UF cable - 12/15/01 03:19 PM
I've heard this UF cable within conduit issue from a couple of sources now. Nobody has a specific answer to the issue. One electrician said UF may build up heat within conduit. Another said noway unless circuit is overloaded. I would think if I put coded electrical connections at the ends I would be Ok. I was attempting to avoid unnecessary or temporary solutions and expense.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Unused UF cable - 12/15/01 10:48 PM
It may seem nit-picky, but I think the violation cited regarding UF and/or NM in conduit has to do with securing the cable within the required distances of boxes. The rationale being that if it is in conduit, you can't secure it.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Unused UF cable - 12/16/01 04:53 AM
But if it is in conduit there is no need to secure it, is there? Yes, I know that the rule says you have to, but the purpose of the rule is to prevent the connections from being damaged if the cable is pulled. The cable is protected from being pulled by the conduit. I really see no reason to turn this installation down, but the easiest way to solve the problem would be to install the conduit with a pull string, and install THWN or XHHW conductors when electricity is need for the future project.
Don(resqcapt19)

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 12-15-2001).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Unused UF cable - 12/16/01 03:26 PM
I agree with you, Don. I can'y see any reason to turn it down, given appropriately installed & sized conduit. I actually read that answer at another website. The response was in regard to a similar question.
Posted By: sparkless Re: Unused UF cable - 12/20/01 01:45 AM
I just added junction to breakup my run that exceeded 360 degrees of total bends. To accommodate my existing line I ran two 45 bends up at one end and at different angles to clear an obstacle. I added a short straight between the 45 bends. As a result my last up pipe is not perpendicular but off perpendicular by a 15 degree angle. What does the NEC code say? Does the termination conduit out of a two feet trench have to be at a perpendicular? Thanks for reply.

[This message has been edited by sparkless (edited 12-19-2001).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Unused UF cable - 12/20/01 02:01 AM
sparkless,

I have a hunch that the fact that you had more than 360 degrees of turns may have had something to do with it. In situations when there are too many turns one would suspect that the wire/cable was not pulled (or could not be pulled) in afterwards and that would be a violation.

Bill
Posted By: sparkless Re: Unused UF cable - 12/20/01 02:05 AM
Bill;
I understand the total 360 degree bend issue.
I'm wandering if I'm going to fail my next inspection because my up pipe is off ground perpendicular by 15 degrees. IE my last pipe does not come straight up out of the ground but is off by 15 degrees.

[This message has been edited by sparkless (edited 12-19-2001).]
Posted By: electure Re: Unused UF cable - 12/20/01 12:38 PM
I don't think any Code violation exists because of the 15°.
Why not just use THWN (lots less $ than UF, 450'of #12 won't even cost you $20)?
If the AHJ is giving you grief, you could always use the UF as a pull wire if it's already in.
Posted By: Hal Re: Unused UF cable - 12/20/01 12:56 PM
Is the conduit run complete? Could be an issue with Section 300-18 if the conduit runs are not complete and the conductors are installed.
Posted By: gary long Re: Unused UF cable - 12/21/01 01:24 AM
uf "under ground feeder" cable can be buried directly in the ground with no pipe at all ! .. That is what that stuff is made for.
Posted By: electure Re: Unused UF cable - 12/21/01 12:34 PM
I like the idea of conduit. If you ever have a problem, it could be an absolute nightmare to dig up cable beneath a paved parking lot.
(Here in SoCA, you won't see much UF cable used . More a "homeowner and the guy @ Home Depot spec" kind of thing)
Posted By: sparkless Re: Unused UF cable - 12/26/01 06:48 PM
I got my job approved. I needed the conduit to avoid digging up the asphalt for changes in the future. The inspector approved the UF cable within the conduit, approved the 15 degree offset and then labeled the job "UF cable and conduit for future use".
Thanks for all your help
Posted By: gary long Re: Unused UF cable - 01/17/02 02:09 AM
COOL ! Passed it !! It is always a great Idea to put sleeves and have them for future anywhere but all that I am saying is uf cable is for direct burial and it works !! " but yes I would always use pvc myself with thhn and cover myself for future .. GREAT JOB !!! Have fun out there ! " whyrag "
Posted By: electure Re: Unused UF cable - 01/17/02 02:25 AM
That doesn't make it a good job, does it?

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-17-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums