ECN Forum
Posted By: Steve T Main Breaker - 12/08/01 03:10 AM
Does the code say anywhere that the main breaker for a panel must be in a certain loacation e.g., the top or bottom?

A contractor installed a main for a subpanel in apx. the middle of the panel. Although odd, is this non-compliant?
Posted By: Tom Re: Main Breaker - 12/08/01 02:34 PM
Wish I could see a picture of this one. i think you're talking about a back fed breaker? See 408.16(f)

The only other restriction I know of is that the "up" position must be "on". 404.7 & 240.81

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 12-08-2001).]
Posted By: electure Re: Main Breaker - 12/09/01 03:43 PM
Some resi services I've seen come from the factory with the main CB mounted in the center of the buss. (GE)
If this is a bolt on CB, or has a fastener holding the main in, it's OK. If it's just a plug in type of CB, it's not.(Sorry, I don't have a codebook today)

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-09-2001).]
Posted By: WireWrestler Re: Main Breaker - 12/10/01 01:07 AM
I have installed three SquareD NQOD panelboards in the last two months. 200 amp single phase, 200 amp three phase, and 400 amp single phase. All of these are either top or bottom feed. The factory sets them up per customer specs but they are field convertible. In the commercial installations where I am using them, I prefer the main breaker on the bottom since most new commercial services here must be underground. I have also seen the center feed type (they were old), but I can't remember the brand.
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: Main Breaker - 12/10/01 10:57 PM
The code doesn't care except that it has to be "up=on, down=off". This is coming from one who (many many years ago) had to redo an entire panel when he was an apprentice.
Posted By: Steve T Re: Main Breaker - 12/11/01 11:59 PM
This happened in an existing apartment building. There was an MDP with main and feeders to several different basement areas. Each feeder was 200a and fed 5 or 6 metersocket/panels ganged together. From the metersocket feed to the panel was #3's. I made the contractor install the main in each panel due to the tap rule requirements. Yes it was a back fed device, and the contractor installed a bracket so the main could not just be pulled out. But he installed the main in the middle of the buss. It turns on and off horizontally, so I guess it sounds like this is ok.
© ECN Electrical Forums