ECN Forum
Posted By: ken m lights within a shower stall - 11/27/01 11:08 AM
does anyone know where i can find any info on installation of recess lights in fiberglass ceilings of shower/tubs and related code requirements? thanks for any help. ken m
Posted By: DUBLIN Re: lights within a shower stall - 11/28/01 03:47 AM
NEC 410-4 Lighting installed in and over tubs and showers must be suitable for wet locations.No cord connected, hanging or pendant within the 3ft horizontal and 8 ft vertical area above the tub. Most recess lighting fixtures have a shower trim or cover that when properly installed to manufacturers specifications meet the requirments for this location. Check with the manufacturer in all cases dont assume. In particular both Halo & Juno have 2 versions of shower trims (plastic and METAL) although both seem to permited I would advise going with the plastic version for both added safety and durability. Seems odd though, imagine someone showering..poof the lamp goes out..grab a towel..grab a bulb.. leave the switch on...... My other favorite is wall sconces over the tub area....Yah no intelligent person would or would they??
Posted By: Tom Baker Re: lights within a shower stall - 12/02/01 07:38 PM
In my bathroom I just wired I installed a light over a hydromassage- tub- shower I put that light on the load side of the GFCI recpt for the bath, and the light is a Halo recessed can with the shower trim. (plastic lens and trim)
Posted By: pfh73 Re: lights within a shower stall - 12/04/01 08:27 PM
does this light need to be run thru a GFI circuit?
Posted By: WireWrestler Re: lights within a shower stall - 12/06/01 01:46 AM
I have seen a lot of bathrooms that have the lights on the load side of the GFCI. I think it is a good idea. My questions for everyone are:
1. Does the NEC specify any particualr type of load that cannot be GFCI protected? (In residences.)
2. When in doubt isn't it safer to protect circuits with GFCIs?
3. What circuts, if any, do you protect with GFCIs in addition to those that are required to be?
Thanks in advance for comments.
Bob
Posted By: dons Re: lights within a shower stall - 12/24/01 05:39 AM
well if they come off the recept they need to be #12 and the circuit cannot leave the
bath..
© ECN Electrical Forums