ECN Forum
Posted By: Nick 210.8(B) - 11/25/01 04:30 AM
I don’t have a copy of the ’02 code yet. Everything I have seen says all receptacles in commercial kitchens now require gfci protection. Is this to include all receptacles for all equipment? Or just convenience receptacles in kitchens. If it is all receptacles regardless of what they feed that is going to be a significant cost increase for the owners of large commercial kitchens! [Linked Image] Not to mention some possible nuisance tripping. Any thoughts?
Posted By: Tom Re: 210.8(B) - 11/25/01 02:00 PM
Here it is.

"All 125 volt, single phase, 15- and 20 ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1), (2), or (3) shall have ground fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel:

(1) Bathrooms
(2) Rooftops
(3) Kitchens "

I realize restaurant kitchens have a lot of circuits, but many of them still won't require GFI protection. I think that this requirement for GFI protection is reasonable, never could understand why a commercial kitchen was less dangerous than a residential kitchen, especially with all that conductive stainless steel.

Tom
Posted By: electure Re: 210.8(B) - 11/25/01 02:06 PM
210.8(B)Other Than Dwelling Units
All 125-volt, single-phase,15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1),(2), and (3) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel:
(1) Bathrooms
(2) Rooftops
(3) Kitchens

It looks like it's time to hardwire everything you can.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: 210.8(B) - 11/27/01 04:32 AM
Does anyone think that there will be exceptions made in their areas for dedicated receptacles for Refrigerators and Freezers?

Bill
Posted By: electure Re: 210.8(B) - 11/27/01 01:01 PM
The Code makes no exception, so I don't suppose our inspectors will. I'd imagine many "fly by night" servicemen will be replacing them with non-GFCI recps as soon as the inspector leaves.
What I find strange here is that lots of commercial kitchen equip comes wired for different configs (30A, or 208/240 etc. supply), and the CMP didn't address the dangers involved there. Why not?
© ECN Electrical Forums