ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Screen Room a 'Habitable Room' ? - 11/21/01 03:33 AM
[Linked Image]
Does a Screen Room have to meet wiring requirements like the rest of the house?
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Screen Room a 'Habitable Room' ? - 11/21/01 04:45 AM
In other words, does it need a receptacle every 12 linear feet and within 6 foot of a corner like rooms "inside"?

Good Q...
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Screen Room a 'Habitable Room' ? - 11/21/01 04:49 AM
Boy, didn't mean to overstate the obvious... I hadn't read the other thread when I posted above...

My "bad"...
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Screen Room a 'Habitable Room' ? - 11/21/01 05:02 AM
'66,

Yes, that's what I mean. If it matters, entrance to the room from the house will be through a 6' slider or double doors. Is there a choice to include or not to include wiring?

Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Screen Room a 'Habitable Room' ? - 11/21/01 05:15 AM
Personally, I would tend to think that one of the "outdoor" GFCI recepts required would have to be near said door if this room is considered a porch... Otherwise, it's a room!

Make any sense?
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Screen Room a 'Habitable Room' ? - 11/21/01 11:41 AM
Bill:

When I searched for the term "porch" I found nothing, but did find information on a "sunroom"

210-52(a) -- says if its a "sunroom" that it needs outlets. I think that this looks like a sunroom to me?

See also "or similar room or area of dwelling units" -----
Posted By: sparky Re: Screen Room a 'Habitable Room' ? - 11/21/01 11:58 AM
I would think that weathertight and/or heated would come into the pix at some point to quailfy said room as 'habitable'.

This makes it an 'all NEC or nuthin' deal'

If in fact, this is so, then 210-70(A)(1) would apply. Also, if you were to eat there 210.52(B)(1) would 'similar area' mean 210.52(B)(3) are required??
Posted By: C.Urch Re: Screen Room a 'Habitable Room' ? - 11/21/01 12:15 PM
I would consider the addition a screened in porch requiring only what the owner wishes to add in way of devices and lighting. I've wired many a new home lately and even though the screen porch could easily be wired to habitable room standards, they weren't required by any inspectors.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Screen Room a 'Habitable Room' ? - 11/21/01 01:33 PM
It is getting skylights too at some point. This one will have a 6' section of electric baseboard heat and the wall common with the house will be sheetrocked as if it was an interior wall. As finished, it has 3 recessed lights, a ceiling fan, 6 interior receptacles and 1 exterior receptacle (all GFCI protected) and a set of floodlights at the rear peak.

It will have the comforts and conveniences necessary when the room is in use. It will still be separated from the house by an exterior set of doors with weatherstripping, will only be heated when in use, and it is sitting upon a wooden-framed deck.

Because of all the windows it was a challenge to find locations where the owner would agree to having (wiremold box) receptacles. There was no question as to them wanting power out there, but the amount of outlets and locations was a point of conjecture.

An installation like this is clearly not of the same construction as the rest of the house and could be removed at any time without compromising the integrity of the house itself. (If the common wall was left with the vinyl siding (inside)) Does this have to strictly meet the requirements of the NEC for habitable rooms? Or, can they have what they want in this room?

Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Screen Room a 'Habitable Room' ? - 11/21/01 02:49 PM
Hmmmm...

The "nightmare" house has a similar sunroom with WP ceiling fan, skylights, the works.... Shall I bite the bullet and add recepts and increase my loss?

(Please say "no"...)

I think I'm going to cry now...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tom Re: Screen Room a 'Habitable Room' ? - 11/21/01 07:53 PM
Well, the sunrooms around here have a lot of glass, not screens, so you can sit in the sun during the winter.

In the rare areas of North central WV where inspections are done on the entire house, this screen room does not need to have any receptacles or lights.

Tom
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Screen Room a 'Habitable Room' ? - 11/21/01 08:57 PM
Tom,

This ones got a lot of glass too. I'm just calling it a screen room because the big windows all open. (and have screens) I don't know what the company calls it. I've heard these rooms called "Florida Rooms" sometimes too.

Bill
Posted By: johngeorge Re: Screen Room a 'Habitable Room' ? - 11/23/01 12:44 PM
In some areas of the country where heating systems are required, a heating appliance or connection to the existing heating system must be made to make the "sun room" living space. Living space has to comply with 210-52. It generally depends on the building code as to what constitutes "living space."
The requirement for exit lighting should still be taken into consideration.
Sunroom is included within 210-52. Concern about using extension cords during the seasonal use of this portion of the building should be taken into consideration. I guess the main point is "sun room" with or without heat.
© ECN Electrical Forums