ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Receptacles on one circuit - 11/13/01 07:07 PM
Question:

How many duplex receptacles can be installed on one 15 or 20 ampere, 125 volt rated, single phase branch circuit in a dwelling unit?

Please verify with the reference in the 1999 NEC.
Posted By: sparky Re: Receptacles on one circuit - 11/13/01 08:50 PM
Joe, dwelling or non-dwelling, big difference....
Posted By: tdhorne Re: Receptacles on one circuit - 11/13/01 08:58 PM
The maxim of the law is that silence is consent. Since the code limit does not apply to dwelling units the number is unlimited. The asterisk note below the table in branch circuit and feeder calculations makes this clear.

*All general-use receptacle outlets of 20-ampere or less rating in one-family, two-family, and multifamily dwellings and in guest rooms of hotels and motels [except those connected to the receptacle circuits specified in Sections 220-4(b) and (c)] shall be considered as outlets for general illumination, and no additional load calculations shall be required for such outlets.
--
Tom
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Receptacles on one circuit - 11/13/01 09:10 PM
Joe,
I know that you are well aware that there is no limit on the number of receptacles that can be connected to a dwelling unit branch circuit, so what's with this question?
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: sparky Re: Receptacles on one circuit - 11/13/01 09:20 PM
220.3B(10) has no 02' change
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Receptacles on one circuit - 11/13/01 09:50 PM
Don and others:

Yes, I am well aware of the correct answer and gave the same references, but wanted to have one of my students here in Dayton see the replies I expected to get from this ECN bulletin board.

Now they will have to join if they want to argue the point.

If I ask a question like this one, it is for that simple reason ---- to give another opinion, or other answers to the question(s) asked of me.

Thanks for your replies so far, I am finished now for today and hope that others will add their comments here so I can start in the morning signing on with this thread.
Posted By: sparky Re: Receptacles on one circuit - 11/13/01 10:53 PM
understood.
ok, i have a 5000' dwelling and have placed ALL the general use receptacles on a single circuit.

students.....please argue the example.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Receptacles on one circuit - 11/14/01 07:26 AM
Ah, yes - good approach Steve!

Here's a little more added to your example:

I have an 8,500 Sq. Ft. House with basement, 2 floors, large Kitchen, 3 car garages, etc. [much overkill!].
I plan to have the Clampetts live with my family of 9 people in said house once it's completed.
Ellie May plans to bring home 30 dogs and 25 Gorrillas from the Zoo, all need plenty of light and "attention" [AKA Vacuuming up 'zee `Poo `Poo].
Jethro will be turning the truck into a dragster, or building rocket ships to go to the moon.
Granny has 4 electric powered stills to cook her "Corn Squeez'enz".
Jed has converted from hand tools to power tools.

I have 2 kitchen circuits, 1 bathroom circuit, 1 laundry circuit, 1 lighting circuit per floor, 1 bedroom AFCI circuit, 1 receptacle circuit for all other receptacles, 1 FAU circuit.

This could easilly work for certain people [like ones who fear electrical power [Linked Image]], but what exactly makes it suck so bad to wire my house to these NEC minimums?

Without doing any math, it looks like a 125 amp service would satisfy minimums here [non-electric cooking eq.]

Students, please point out the pros or cons of this setup [other than the eccentric room mates].

Scott SET
Posted By: pauluk Re: Receptacles on one circuit - 11/14/01 09:53 PM
Sparky:

5000 sq. ft. dwelling with all general recepts. on one branch circuit.

That would violate the NEC wouldn't it? Max. rating 20A for a general circuit or 2400W. General illuminaion load to be calculated at min. of 3W per sq. ft.

Correct?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Receptacles on one circuit - 11/15/01 01:31 AM
Paul,

Calculations are for for services, etc. Nothing specific for Branch circuits though, or limitations on # of devices per. Doesn't seem right, does it? [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Receptacles on one circuit - 11/15/01 01:40 AM
Paul;
before we go code crunchin' i'd like to see a student kick it around....let's see who shows up!
[Linked Image]
come on in, the water's fine...
Posted By: pauluk Re: Receptacles on one circuit - 11/15/01 06:40 PM
Hmm, Bill's comment has set me to thinking a few things.

But I'll hold off until later... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-15-2001).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Receptacles on one circuit - 11/15/01 08:14 PM
shhhh! students are lurking!
Posted By: gary long Re: Receptacles on one circuit - 11/20/01 05:05 AM
The way that I explain it to my kid's is that every 500' you must have 1 lighting circut and I tell them to never go over 15 opening's max...2 gang=2 --- 3 gang = 3 ect... and then ya still gotta watchem ya know !!!
© ECN Electrical Forums