ECN Forum
Posted By: JerryF Conduit in a soffit? - 11/10/01 12:43 AM
Electrical contractor installed 200 Amp. single phase service in schedule 80 conduit on side of house above window.
The siding contractor installed a vinyl soffit below the conduit so the conduit is in the soffit.The soffit material is vinyl and is removable. The outside wall continues 12" above the conduit.
The service head is outside of the soffit.
1) Is the conduit inside or outside the building? How can I justify if it is inside or outside the house?
2) Is there any NEC violation? If so, what is the violation? (Article number)

Thank you.

Jerry F
Posted By: Tom Re: Conduit in a soffit? - 11/10/01 01:36 AM
If this was installed in the area that I inspect in, I would probably reject it. It sounds like at least part of this service is inside the building. To me, inside is any area on the other side of the exterior building finish, in other words, if I can't see it from the outside, it's inside.

See 230-70(a)

I see a similar situation when an old house is bricked. No one bothers to do anything about the service, they just brick over the cable & brick around the meter socket.

Tom
Posted By: Fred Re: Conduit in a soffit? - 11/10/01 03:38 AM
230-70(a) refers to the service disconnect. What would prohibit concealing sched.80 conduit in the soffit? Maybe I'm not understanding Jerry's situation. Is this conduit the service risor? Is it vertical or horizontal over this window?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Conduit in a soffit? - 11/11/01 08:52 PM
Jerry,

I was always under the impression that it was not to be concealed. I thought that Lilco wouldn't allow it either for reasons of possible theft of service. I have not come across anything in Black and White though.

Bill
Posted By: JerryF Re: Conduit in a soffit? - 11/13/01 02:01 AM
Bill,

LIPA has accepted it and has connected. We have violated it and being channeled. We fell that there is a violation but can not find any in the NEC or LIPA red book. Article 230-70(a) was suggested but this has to do with the service disconnect location not the lateral.

Thanks,
Jerry
Posted By: Glenn Re: Conduit in a soffit? - 11/13/01 12:25 PM
Doesn't 230.6 cover this point?

Maybe it should be "uncover".
© ECN Electrical Forums