ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk Guide to U.K. IEE Regs. - 10/03/01 03:38 PM
For some more info on the U.K. IEE Wiring Regs., you might like to look at the following:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/1.1.htm
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Guide to U.K. IEE Regs. - 10/04/01 12:12 AM
Paul,

Interesting stuff!
I came across the following and like the common sense that it portrays:

[Linked Image from tlc-direct.co.uk]
Posted By: sparky Re: Guide to U.K. IEE Regs. - 10/04/01 12:38 AM
Paul,
facinating....AND illistrations to all the threads you've provided. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Guide to U.K. IEE Regs. - 10/04/01 09:01 PM
I don't see the sense here because of the direction that the shower opens. If the shower opened toward the door, that would be different.

The light switch could be 0 m from the shower and a person in the shower would not be able to reach it (unless he is hanging from the water pipes).
Posted By: pauluk Re: Guide to U.K. IEE Regs. - 10/04/01 09:56 PM
I think the 0.6m is just a general requirement that no fittings be within that distance of any part of the shower cubicle.

If the shower opened toward the left here, that switch would have to be much farther away under the general rule that it must not be able to be touched by anyone in a bath or shower. The distance specified for that is 2m (about 6' 6").

The twin socket would be allowed only if this were a shower cubicle in, say, a bedroom. In a bathroom, the only socket outlet allowed is a xfmr-isolated low-power one for an electric shaver.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Guide to U.K. IEE Regs. - 10/04/01 11:52 PM
>the general rule that it must not be able to be touched by anyone in a bath or shower. The distance specified for that is 2m (about 6' 6").

Anyone who could reach that far would not technically be in the shower. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Guide to U.K. IEE Regs. - 10/04/01 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Dspark:
>
Anyone who could reach that far would not technically be in the shower. [Linked Image]

Precisely their objective!

Strangely though, we can have "instant" electric showers fitted right in the cubicle under the shower head with just a thin layer of plastic cover and some sealant (we hope!) between a cascade of water and 240V to ground. Then they make such a fuss about not having a socket anywhere in a bathroom. Go figure.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Guide to U.K. IEE Regs. - 10/05/01 01:33 AM
The point I was trying to make was that we have no such distance requirements (in the NEC) for switches or receptacles from a shower or bathtub. It is something that I cannot understand.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Guide to U.K. IEE Regs. - 10/05/01 02:03 AM
The "old thread reviver" is at it again...
Check this out Paul, an interesting thread...

[Linked Image]

Go here for more!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Guide to U.K. IEE Regs. - 10/05/01 02:47 AM
>Precisely their objective!
But the objective can be met with just 1 m of separation (30" NEC) unless you have some really tall people in which case, they are probably at greater risk for taking out luminaires with their heads.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Guide to U.K. IEE Regs. - 10/05/01 10:06 AM
Yes, the 2m is probably a very generous allowance. Prior to the metric edition in 1970 it was listed as 6 ft. minimum. I'm not sure when that spacing was introduced; it's certainly there in the 1955 edtion.

Virgil:
Thanks for that link. Sometimes a bathroom light switch is located outside the door, but another very common arrangement is for a ceiling mounted switch operated by a pull cord. As the live switch is up on the ceiling, these can be mounted so the cord is right next to the tub or shower.

They're so common in bathrooms, that they're often used even when a regular wall switch would be outside the 6'/2m boundary.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Guide to U.K. IEE Regs. - 10/05/01 01:26 PM
DS,

But the objective can be met with just 1 m of separation (30" NEC) unless you have some really tall people in which case, they are probably at greater risk for taking out luminaires with their heads.

Can I ask where the justification for your statement comes from?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Guide to U.K. IEE Regs. - 10/05/01 08:54 PM
If I am in the shower, I can reach an arm's length easily. However, to reach more than 1 m, I must step out of the shower.
© ECN Electrical Forums