ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Stage Lighting Questions - 10/02/01 12:30 PM
Posted for Steve:
1. Is it illegal to use non-UL approved dimmers? What are the ramifications of using non UL-approved dimmers?

2. Are lighting fixtures in an auditorium required to have UL-approved status? For example, do Ellipsoidals and Fernels need UL-approved status?

3. Most of the lead wiring used on fixtures before 1980 has asbestos on it. Is it against the law to leave asbestos on lead wiring for fixtures currently being used? If one removes the lead wiring, can one guarantee that the fixtures themselves have no asbestos on them?

4. If low voltage wiring is exposed to people, is that a violation of NEC regulations?

Thanks for getting back to me on these things.

Steve
Posted By: mickky Re: Stage Lighting Questions - 10/02/01 08:34 PM
I've been a Stage LX for several years in Canada, but I'm assuming the rules are the same down there. We generally used Strand or ETC luminaires-all carry the UL(CSA) label.So do their dimmers.This would be required for import, and use in a public place.It would be common sense to use Listed products in this environment. Theatres are terrible fire traps to begin with. this is not to say I've not done some pretty risky things when the time and $$$ were at a premium !
Most theatres I've worked in have some very old luminaires with asbestos Ins.-over a few seasons,, we would slowly replace them with THHN, and a polyester sleeve-understandably, this can be a long procedure, and expensive, but I feel it should be done.I've never had a complaint from anyone in authority if some of the luminaires still had asbestos insulation.

We used to run a lot of low V. around the stage, and I always treat it as if it was 110/220-protect the public and the cast(and expensive equip)at all costs.
Posted By: Nick Re: Stage Lighting Questions - 10/02/01 08:52 PM
1. Is it illegal to use non-UL approved dimmers? What are the ramifications of using non UL-approved dimmers?
Equipment and conductors must be approved by the authority having jurisdiction. This does not necessarily mean UL Listed. The criteria used for what to accept and what not to accept is up to the AHJ. (usually this is a UL listing but doesn't have to be)
2. Are lighting fixtures in an auditorium required to have UL-approved status? For example, do Ellipsoidals and Fernels need UL-approved status?
See above
© ECN Electrical Forums