ECN Forum
Posted By: Steve Miller 680-25 c&d - 08/30/01 11:53 AM
For several years and in several jurisdictions we have been installing residential hot tubs on decks as follows (all have passed inspections):
6-3 RX thru the house to a panel mounted on the exterior wall (as per 680-25c Ex3). From that point it's piped with the insulated ground.
Last week one of the jurisdictions (where we had never installed one) said that under 680-25d the tub contained a panel board and needed the insulated ground all the way back to the main service (i.e. pipe the whole thing). We maintained that the tub is a factory sealed and approved unit and 680-25c Ex3 could be applied. Well it wasn't worth the fight so we did it his way but the customer paid a premium. What's your opinion?
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: 680-25 c&d - 08/30/01 01:57 PM
Dude! I love your greatest hits album! Especially "Swing Town"...

Uh... Why is everybody laughing at me?!?!?!?

[Linked Image from kellyelectric.electrical-contractor.net]

Steve, forgive me, I'm sure you get hassled about your name every day... and I'm sure I wasn't very original about it...

That's how I install 'em, NM to the disco, then PVC and THWN to the tub... The AHJ has the last word though...
Posted By: electure Re: 680-25 c&d - 08/30/01 10:42 PM
Since it's a listed factory unit, a call to the manufacturer might have been able to shed some light. If you use there units regularly, give it a try.

"Famous Names"
BTW, One of the owners of the company I work for, although no relation to the other, is named...Mike Holt. On one job I worked on, the GC's super was named Neil Young, and the owner's rep was named Jim Nabors..for real [Linked Image]
Posted By: Redsy Re: 680-25 c&d - 08/31/01 12:40 AM
I brought this up a few times(see previous topics).
I use ENT with insulated ground instead of NM. Heres why--
680-12 requires disconnect.
680-25(d) requires panelboards and DISCONNECTS to have an insulated ground.
680-25(c) requires motors have an insulated ground, with permission for interior of single family dwellings to use NM (a chapter 3 wiring method).
680-25(d) does not include the permission for single family dwellings. Therefore, NM not allowed.

I have seen many NM installations. Apparently it's often accepted.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: 680-25 c&d - 08/31/01 01:26 AM
The manager at Blue Grass Electric (my supplier) is Rob Lowe!

Steve,

I meant no harm, welcome to ECN...

Doh! You mean I goofed again! Geez I'd like to get at least one hot tub install right...Man!

Thanks for straightening me out again, Redsy!

[Linked Image from kellyelectric.electrical-contractor.net]
Posted By: Redsy Re: 680-25 c&d - 08/31/01 02:36 AM
Originally posted by sparky66wv:
Thanks for straightening me out again, Redsy!

I'm not so sure. I may be a fool for doing it my way. It's just the way I see it. (Can't see it any other way, though) [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: 680-25 c&d - 08/31/01 05:12 AM
Steve M,

Welcome to the board !

I've always done it as you describe 6/3 wGr to a Disconnect (Panel w/ GFCI breaker) and then pipe to Tub. Never had any reason to believe otherwise.

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: 680-25 c&d - 08/31/01 09:30 AM
As i understand it, the theory behind insulated & isolated per 680 is in protection from other proximal ground faults crossing over to the pool ECG.

Steve, your post brings more conjecture here

welcome aboard!
[Linked Image]
Virgil, how'd you do that smiley guy???
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: 680-25 c&d - 08/31/01 12:39 PM
Sparky,

Don't have that one? [Linked Image from kellyelectric.electrical-contractor.net]
Maybe We could import him somehow.

Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: 680-25 c&d - 08/31/01 04:23 PM
It's about time someone noticed!!!

I saved "coolie" and "biggrin" and put them in Paint , copied pasted and swore a little and made a coolgrin.jpg...

There's a coolgringrey.jpg for the darker backgrounds, they're both here at my site's addy, but it can be a pain to type!
http://www.kellyelectric.electrical-contractor.net/photos/coolgrin.jpg = [Linked Image from kellyelectric.electrical-contractor.net]
http://www.kellyelectric.electrical-contractor.net/photos/coolgringrey.jpg = [Linked Image from kellyelectric.electrical-contractor.net]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-31-2001).]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 680-25 c&d - 08/31/01 08:17 PM
Hey, '66, all you really need is one smiley version with a transparent background.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: 680-25 c&d - 09/02/01 01:53 PM
Virgil,

DS is right about the transparency thing.
I figured how you did it because the top part of the circle is missing almost like he's bald!

Hey, it all adds to the Ambiance of the place!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: 680-25 c&d - 09/02/01 02:39 PM
Trasparent GIF's aren't available on any of my programs, and transparent JPG's are very new and none of my programs support them.

I know, it sucks...

The coolgrin guy had to be enlarged by one pixel in heighth or the glasses and grin would be smashed together in an unrecognizeable mass. Being limited (not really) to the "standard" of 15 x 15 pixels, something had to give. I tried to use some techniques to make it not as noticable, but I have apparently failed...

I also whipped it out in about 10 minutes, so sue me...

All in fun guys...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: 680-25 c&d - 09/02/01 02:42 PM
Wow... Steve never came back... Now I feel bad... [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums