ECN Forum
Posted By: electure A/C Disconnects - 08/30/01 11:53 AM
Why on earth aren't A/C package units, condensing units, & evaporators supplied with integral disconnects? It seems like it would be a simple matter to install them at the factory, and as they become more and more "skeletonized", it's quite the pain sometimes to find a decent place to mount the required field installed ones.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A/C Disconnects - 08/30/01 09:25 PM
It wouldn't be a disconnect anymore, at least not if you needed to remove the machine.
Posted By: electure Re: A/C Disconnects - 08/30/01 10:30 PM
It wouldn't be a disconnect any more?
Many pieces of machinery have a built in disconnect, and are considered just that, right? A disconnect that is screwed directly to the side of the unit and has a nipple out the back into the unit is essentially the same thing, isn't it? I sure wouldn't unscrew an EXO from the side of the unit without shutting off and LOTO the next protection up.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A/C Disconnects - 08/30/01 11:26 PM
This reminds me of the thread about why dishwashers don't have cords.

Perhaps the answer to many of these questions is 'because that's the way it has always been done.'
Posted By: Tom Re: A/C Disconnects - 08/30/01 11:52 PM
I think this is an idea whose time has come. Disconnect mounting for A/C units usually isn't a problem, until they are roof mounted. While we're at it, how about a 120 volt GFI protected receptacle built into the disco? After all, we're supposed to put one up on the roof (sometimes way more than one for a large building).

Tom
Posted By: sparky Re: A/C Disconnects - 09/01/01 11:57 PM
perhaps because the AC guys would be there first, and pipe it up with integral disco facing wall???
Posted By: Nick Re: A/C Disconnects - 09/02/01 01:59 AM
For the first time ever the job I am doing right now has A/C units with integral disconnects and receptacles! I think it is a cost issue. If the mechanical specs don't specifically call it out the mechanical contractor surely is not going to order them just to be nice. Most manufacturers show a factory supplied disco as an option. Most of the time they are ordered without. On my present job the units were owner furnished.
Nick
Posted By: dandy467d Re: A/C Disconnects - 09/02/01 09:43 AM
Asked a HVAC guy that same question. Disc. added at the factory added 800 dollars to this unit x2. Enough added not to make you price competetive. Architects could care less if disc. is built in or not, so it's hardly ever specd. "Let the electrican worry about it"
Posted By: sparky Re: A/C Disconnects - 09/02/01 10:12 AM
"Let the electrican worry about it"

for $800 i'd do the worrying..... [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums