ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky Temporary - 08/07/01 01:49 AM
What time frame is 'temporary' , other than 305-3 , if something is listed for 'temporary use'?
Posted By: Mike Re: Temporary - 08/07/01 02:05 PM

We have a saying here at work. "The only thing permanent is temporary." lol.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Temporary - 08/08/01 01:23 AM
(Psst... Hey Mike... I'm '66... that's Steve...)

-Virgil

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Temporary - 08/08/01 02:29 AM
I am so confused [Linked Image]

We've got probably another 5 sparky (maybe more) names here. If they all decided to post at the same time sheeesh!

Mike, don't feel bad, Joe T. is calling me Bob [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Temporary - 08/08/01 03:09 AM
Perhaps you can program a moratorium on using spark in a username. It is too obvious for a forum like this.
And perhaps we can get people to stop naming their children William. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Temporary - 08/08/01 09:14 AM
just don't call me late for din-din
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Temporary - 08/08/01 09:19 AM
anywho...
as far as i see it, temporary is an undefined term NEC wise. So items listed for temp use could be installed and run anywhere from minutes to years.

I think this is a really twisted disclaimer that no one will pay attention to, but would be pointed out after problems occur.
Posted By: electure Re: Temporary - 08/08/01 12:06 PM
That's why I'm electure, a name given to me by the guys during the Presidential race.
Don't want the other Scott from Anaheim gettin' trashed over my ravings.
We've had temporary employees that haven't lasted a day. I've seen temporary wiring that the companies have left in for years.
????? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 08-08-2001).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Temporary - 08/08/01 01:24 PM
The owner of the resort with the dining hall feeder said that it was a temporary too...

But it's been there for five years or more...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-08-2001).]
Posted By: Mike Re: Temporary - 08/08/01 04:58 PM
Sparky and Sparky66wv,

Sorry about the gaffe. I had a temporary (my previous post doesn't apply in this case)memory lapse. I'll pay very close attention to names from now on!
Posted By: Redsy Re: Temporary - 08/08/01 09:25 PM
Just look around and you'll see. The answer is obvious--
About 100 years!

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 08-08-2001).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Temporary - 08/09/01 01:32 AM
I thought Temporary was defined as 90 days in the NEC (It's in my truck again, and yet again I'm feeling lazy...)? Somewhere near 305 or??

Or am I confusing it with AP's customer requirements "Green Book"...? (It's in the truck too...)

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-08-2001).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Temporary - 08/09/01 02:50 AM
Just to toss in something else ..

We had a UL rep do a presentation on GFCIs' awhile back and according to their (or his?) views any cord We use for performing our work is considered Temporary and the area (Living Rm, Dining Rm, whatever) is considered a Construction site while we are there. What this means is that We have to have, or provide, GFCI protection for our cords.

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 08-08-2001).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Temporary - 08/09/01 09:57 AM
305 is for temp wiring, this is an article mostly aimed at us, and our work practices.

but take a walk thru any hardware store, we see adapters, cords, lighting etc marketed with little to no info as to 'temporary'. These are the items that cause trouble for us in the field.

Do you see the double standard here?
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Temporary - 09/13/01 02:48 AM
There is a reason that the word "customer" comes from the root "cuss".
If I get any indication that the customer is too clever for his own good, I'll plan for worst case. This might mean I'm not the cheapest, but these are sales you don't want to try too hard for anyway.
© ECN Electrical Forums