ECN Forum
Posted By: rmiell crawlspace lighting - 07/18/01 04:14 PM
Need help again. In a single family dwelling, the water supply (copper) enters in the crawlspace (height of crawlspace is about 3'), about 30 feet from the access hole. After it enters the crawlspace, it runs about 2', then has a shutoff valve, then continues to the various locations.
I contend that a lighting outlet is required, per Section 210-70(3).

Has anyone made this call? If not, what justification for not calling it?

What if, instead of a shutoff valve, there was a water meter installed in this location. Any different answers?

I understand about the bonding issues here, so that is no my worry. I worry that the homeowner may not be able to see where the valve is located, in an emergency. Is this a concern?

Thanks in advance for any relies.

Rick Miell
Posted By: Mike Re: crawlspace lighting - 07/18/01 04:30 PM
I would say "no light is required" in your example. A shutoff valve does not require maintenance. If it has to be replaced, then portable lights would suffice. The homeowner could use a flashlight if he/she had to shut off the valve. I would say a light is required if it was a well/pump system where the pump controls are mounted in the crawlspace. IMHO.
Posted By: WARREN1 Re: crawlspace lighting - 07/18/01 09:08 PM
Here is the Code Commentary from 210-70(a)(3):
"Installation of lighting outlets in attics, under floor spaces or crawl areas, and in utility rooms or basements is required only where these spaces are used for storage (e.g., holiday decorations and luggage).
If such spaces contain equipment that requires servicing (e.g., air-handling units, cooling and heating equipment, water pumps, and sump pumps), Section 210-70(c) requires that a lighting outlet be installed in these spaces."
In a new installation, the contractor does not know if the area is to be used as storage, therefore it can be argued both ways as to the requirement. The AHJ has final say.
If this is an existing older residence and additions are made in this area, the AHJ may require it to be updated, if he sees it to be a storage space.
Posted By: johnd24 Re: crawlspace lighting - 07/18/01 10:24 PM
remember 1 thing ,,local codes prevail..call your inspector and ask him .if hes a good inspector hed more than willing answere your ?????
© ECN Electrical Forums